At Houston Methodist, the Wellness Clinic Nurse position is a licensed nurse that provides preventive health screenings, testing services and routine, non-emergent health care for Wellness clients at Wellness clinics throughout Houston Methodist as well as clinics located within corporations. The position provides professional nursing care to a diverse patient population, conducts nursing assessments, performs vaccinations, health education and maintenance of medical records and files. The position provides care effectively and efficiently, communicates and collaborates with the physicians and interprofessional health care team to facilitate, coordinate and maintain compassionate, efficient, quality care. The Wellness Clinic Nurse position demonstrates clinical competence when providing care, using technology, and acts as a patient and family advocate in order to monitor and maintain patient rights.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 25%
- Uses therapeutic communication, which includes active listening and teaching, to establish a relationship with patients and interprofessional health care team. (EF)
- Contributes to teamwork by consistently offering assistance, and responding positively to requests for assistance. Collaborates to foster healthy relationships in the work environment. Seeks guidance from and offers guidance to interprofessional health care team, when appropriate, and applies feedback to improve patient satisfaction. (EF)
SERVICE - 25%
- Conducts nursing assessments, assists with exams and treatment, and maintenance of medical records. This includes administering immunizations, phlebotomy/lab draws, performing drug screens, stress tests and fitness testing. Practices in a manner that is congruent with cultural diversity and inclusion principles. (EF)
- Provides patient teaching based on learning needs, using appropriate resources for travel health improvement and overall health and wellness. Consistently evaluates the patient's comprehension and adapts teaching methods accordingly. (EF)
- Provides primary coverage for Wellness Clinics as needed. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 25%
- Follows the standards related to regulatory requirements and professional practice. Identifies areas of practice improvements to achieve patient safety outcomes, supported by accurate documentation. (EF)
- Provides and modifies care and coordinates care with the interprofessional team based on evaluation of the patient's needs, supported by accurate documentation. Utilizes clinical judgement, using an evidence-based analytical approach. (EF)
- Improves quality and safety, through peer-to-peer accountability, reporting near misses, and collaborating with the interprofessional health care team. (EF)
FINANCE - 10%
- Displays self-motivation to independently manage time effectively, timely document care, minimize incidental overtime, and prioritize daily tasks. Provides input into the unit resource utilization including unit capital and operational budget needs. (EF)
- Contributes towards meeting department financial targets through optimizing efficiency and other areas according to department specifications. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 15%
- Identifies and presents areas for innovation, efficiency and improvement in patient care, education or unit operations using evidence-based practice literature. Offers innovative solutions through evidence-based practice/performance improvement projects. (EF)
- Champions new care pathways or service line implementation to improve service to the community and/or clients. Identifies trends for improvement opportunities or practice changes and supports initiatives. Researches the change and presents options to leadership. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- Graduate of education program approved by the credentialing body for the required credential(s) indicated below in the Certificates, Licenses and Registrations section.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) preferred
- Three years registered nurse experience in a healthcare environment
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
- Texas RN license or temporary TX RN license, should obtain permanent license within 90 days. Compact license acceptable according to current Board of Nursing requirements.
- American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS)
- Certified Occupational Hearing Conservationist (COHC) by the Council for Accreditation of Occupational Hearing Conservation (CAOHC) preferred