The Vice President, Shared Services is responsible for operating, leading, measuring performance and setting strategic direction for the shared services organization (as currently structured, provides services to employees, vendors and customers through centralized payroll, payables management, billing, cash application and collection for most of COMPANY 's business). In addition to leading the currently defined organization, it is imperative that the leader partner with functional and operations leadership across the enterprise to (1) assess functional performance against clearly articulated and measurable key performance indicators; (2) identify opportunities to establish new centers of excellence or merge related practices; (3) challenge the current framework and identify opportunities for process optimization or automation; and (4) prioritize a culture of continuous improvement to drive best in class processes and policies.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other duties may be assigned.
Vision & Strategy
- Proactively builds a Shared Services organization and leadership team that focuses on consistent and accurate service delivery while also building an intentional framework for developing dynamic practices that evolve with emerging trends and best practices in technology enablement and business needs
- Works with the Shared Services leadership team to identify opportunities for productivity gains and transformation. to future state design/objectives through customer journey mapping and service design, clearly articulating this as a transformation roadmap that builds clarity and accountability.
- Builds resource plans to support ongoing business needs and the future Shared Services vision, balancing process efficiencies, consideration of optimal location for service, cost optimization, specialized skill needs and the evolution of how and where work gets done.
- Works to develop and enhance the Shared Service Center brand across COMPANY.
Process Execution, Risk Mitigation & Customer Service
- Resources and positions a multi-faceted and multi-location team to delivery on key processes that support the entire company day-in and day-out for imperative business needs, including billing, cash collection and application, customer contact center for collection of past-due balances and vendor payments.
- Optimizes working capital measurements of days sales outstanding and days payable outstanding, evaluating all processes and tools to determine when enhancement is needed to ensure that COMPANY is utilizing leading practices that are efficient and customer centric.
- Evaluates all processes through a risk mitigation and fraud prevention lens to ensure that preservation of company assets is achieved in the face of an increasingly complex backdrop.
- Clearly articulates service level agreements (SLA) with internal customers and measures performance of COMPANY processes against those SLAs; develops and maintains a feedback mechanism with customers to ensure that SLAs dynamically reflect their feedback.
- Consistently educates self and team on leading technology applications and third-party service providers that will be instrumental to day-to-day business execution as well as emerging trends and techniques.
- Creates and operationalizes a dashboard of key performance indicators that will hold the team accountable for service delivery levels through process changes.
- Develops and maintains a Shared Services service delivery and optimization plan.
- Defines and scopes the plan for projects, critical paths for achievement, talent needs, organizational commitments required, methods for issue resolution and key decision points.
- Executes all project management activities including developing work plans, estimating resource requirements, tracking milestones and communicating progress.
- Coordinates with existing programs and initiatives across COMPANY and Finance that may affect prioritization, resource availability and change management.
- Create organization budgets that contemplate both the cost to run the business and the cost to invest in process efficiency opportunities. The budget and outlook should also include savings identified through automation and optimization initiatives.
- Ensures that business processes comply with all relevant guidelines and policies, whether internally established or externally mandated. For clarity, this must include consideration of customer engagement; vendor management; applicable state, provincial and federal government bodies; and COMPANY 's SOX control environment.
- Drives continuous improvement across Shared Services processes, creating best-in-class processes and policies that dynamically respond to evolving business needs and emerging risks.
- In conjunction with enterprise-wide continuous improvement efforts, plans, prioritizes and implements ongoing process improvements/efficiencies.
- Strategically builds a path toward centralization and standardization of processes by rationalizing process differences across business units (both line of business and Area).
- Evaluates and incorporates intelligent automation solutions into continuous improvement projects to increase digitalization of the function (incl. Robotic Process Automation, Machine Learning).
- Facilitates training and upskilling of Shared Service Center staff needed to respond to new business practices.
- Leads the transition of activity, balancing the pace of transition with management of risk and change.
Leadership, Business Relationships and Communication
- Establishes credibility as a dynamic and People-First leader that will serve the Shared Services organization and all customers across COMPANY. Sets clear priorities and expectations for talent engagement, development, and performance management.
- Monitors best practices in shared services staffing and talent across the marketplace to ensure COMPANY is keeping pace and, when appropriate, leading in resourcing talent. Monitors attrition and works to minimize its impacts to business continuity.
- Maintains ongoing communications cadence with functional leadership team that informs, empowers, and inspires the team to deliver at optimal levels for customers and team members.
- Partners with functional leadership across Finance (Supply Chain, Accounting, FP&A, Tax, Treasury, Internal Controls, etc.) and other aspects of the business as needed to problem solve and create clarity and purpose. Proactively coordinate activities across a decentralized organization to ensure processes are effective and optimized.
- Ensures timely communications with functional leadership around capacity management and prioritization.
- Works closely with outside auditors to assess controls and the impact of change.
- The highest level of supervisory skills required in this job is direct supervision of several Director and Senior-Director level employees. Requires that the leader appropriately lead team members in multiple geographies (domestic and international) and balance leadership of highly-skilled, technical and advanced team members with leadership and engagement of a large scale hourly workforce.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
Education and Experience
- Education: Bachelor 's Degree (accredited) in business, finance or similar area of study.
- Experience: Fifteen (15) years of progressive experience leading business process optimization and Global Shared Services operations (in addition to education requirement).
Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required
- Strong understanding of finance and accounting processes
- Demonstrated partnership across the business along with the ability to work across functional and geographic boundaries
- Experience in project management and process improvement with history of innovation and skills in areas such as Lean Process Improvement, Agile, Six Sigma, etc.
- Strong negotiating and influencing skills with ability to influence a range of internal and external, technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Strong accountability and unyielding ethical standards
- Experience managing large-scale transformation efforts in a global environment
- Extensive experience in driving business process improvement, system automation and technology and tools
- Proven leadership skills in driving strategy, organizational design, talent management and change management
- Self-driven strategic and tactical leader to drive continuous improvement and transformation. Ability to operate at both the strategic and detailed level
- Strong analytical, problem-solving and organization skills
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Able to communicate complex information to a variety of audiences
- Able to communicate with professionals at all levels
- Able to be discreet with confidential/sensitive information
- Able to work both independently and collaborate as part of a team
- Able to adapt to changing priorities