APPLICATIONS ACCEPTED FROM: ALL PERSONS INTERESTED
SECTION: TRAFFIC ENGINEERING & OPERATIONS
REPORTING LOCATION: *611 WALKER STREET, 14TH FL.
WORKDAYS & HOURS: *MON. - FRI., 9:00A - 5:30P
*Subject to change
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
The Transportation & Drainage Operations (TDO) service line of HPW is establishing a new Urban Design Studio to advance urban design through placemaking, safety, equity, and best practices in multi-modal transportation within the City of Houston’s public right-of-way and the overall built and natural environment. This Transportation Planner IV / Senior Urban Designer position will support the growth of the TDO Design Studio. HPW is the largest and most diverse public works organization in the country. Houston Public Works is responsible for streets, drainage, producing and distributing water, collecting and treating wastewater, and permitting and regulation of construction. Accredited by the American Public Works Association, our over 4,000 dedicated public servants work together to create a strong foundation for Houston to thrive.
The Transportation Planner IV (aka. Senior Urban Designer) will play a pivotal role in the Urban Design Studio in the development of strong, creative, and innovative planning and urban design concepts for roadway improvement and streetscape projects. The ideal candidate will lead and manage projects of various planning and urban design scales. The ideal candidate will also assist in developing the Studio and mentoring other team members. The successful candidate will have a good understanding of urban & transportation planning/urban design principles and increasing multimodal and safety needs. The Transportation Planner IV will deal extensively and work closely with representatives internal and external to the Department and City to address regional planning issues as well as corridor, roadway, streetscape, public space, and intersection specific challenges. The successful applicant should possess the qualities of an intuitive thinker and proactive problem solver, and the ability to see the broader picture and effectively communicate ideas as well as professionally challenge others’ ideas for the benefit of the city. More specifically, the duties of the Transportation Planner IV (Senior Urban Designer) will include but are not limited to:
- Establish or update policies, procedures, and guidelines related to urban planning/design and transportation planning.
- Act as a liaison to the other departments, government agencies, organizations, and the private sector.
- Collaborate with others in the development of innovative solutions to improve traffic safety, mobility, and equity and resiliency. In other words, challenge the status quo when appropriate and possible, and provide creative solutions to mobility and urban design issues.
- Lead consultant teams to prepare Design Concept Reports for City projects. Also lead teams to develop other transportation and mobility-related projects.
- Support public outreach efforts as needed.
- Provide graphic communication support relating to urban design and planning including but not limited to map making, renderings, infographics, illustrative documents, GIS maps, site plans, public engagement support etc.
- Advance the goals of Resilient Houston, and other City initiatives, through the lens of placemaking, safety, and equity.
- Help create and support strategies to grow the Urban Design Studio.
If you are referred for this position, a portfolio and/or work samples may be requested for continued consideration.
There are occasional minor discomforts from exposure to less-than-optimal temperature and air conditions. The position may involve dealing with modestly unpleasant situations, as with occasional exposure to office chemicals and/or extensive use of a video display terminal.
This is a Houston Public Works Emergency Management position at the Tier II Level.