Applications accepted from: ALL PERSONS INTERESTED
Job Classification: PARALEGAL
Section: REAL ESTATE
Reporting Location: 900 BAGBY
Workdays & Hours: MONDAY – FRIDAY 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM* *Subject to Change
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT:
The Office of the City Attorney for the City of Houston (the “OCA”) provides municipal legal services to the City, its elected and appointed officials, and its employees while adhering to the following guiding principles:
- Quality & Service – Achieving high customer satisfaction as judged by our clients.
- Partnership & Teamwork – Working cooperatively internally and with our clients to achieve the City’s goals.
- Integrity & Candor – Placing honesty and ethical behavior first.
- Dignity & Diversity – Promoting each person’s value.
- Innovation & Imagination – Seeking novel and creative approaches to achieving the City’s objectives.
Composed of approximately 100 of Houston’s finest attorneys working in 11 legal practice sections, the OCA handles personal injury, commercial and civil rights litigation, major commercial and real estate transactions, and a diverse array of human resources, labor and employment matters, while also counseling the municipal corporation on economic development, constitutional, election matters, ethics and quality of life matters, and preparing City ordinances governing Houston and its citizens.
Every member of the OCA must be committed to “Service Through Law.”
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
The City of Houston Legal Department seeks a skilled, energetic, team-oriented Paralegal who is self-motivated and can work independently on various transactional real estate assignments.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Processing inquiries from the public and various City of Houston departments related to City of Houston real property.
- Actively engaging with attorneys to assist in the drafting, reviewing, and processing of various real estate documents including deeds, easements, purchase and sale agreements, and other real estate conveyance documents.
- Reviewing various databases to ensure the proper execution of documents.
- Regularly communicating with various client departments to provide status updates and request additional information.
- Facilitating the processing of documents to obtain various signatures.
- Performing title review and drafting documents related to City permitting.
- Opening and closing files, tracking invoices, and other administrative duties as assigned.
- Working in Word, Outlook, Excel, and other software programs.
There are no major sources of discomfort, i.e., essentially normal office environment with acceptable lighting, temperature and air conditions.