Position Value Proposition
We are currently seeking a Senior Operations Leader that has the broad capability to be comfortable with designing manufacturing processes, utilizing base metal working technologies (welding, drilling, cutting, forming), while guiding the product design for manufacturability. In addition, this role requires a higher level of business acumen, P&L management, and leadership to successfully drive the operations. This role reports directly to the Executive Vice President overseeing manufacturing.
- Meet or exceed the planned margin in manufacturing by developing the lowest cost process and maintaining quality requirements, ensuring CPI on materials and labor at or better than 1.0.
- Research new technologies that can be applied to the business, keeping us on the leading edge. Presenting ROI of new technologies to executive team on a quarterly basis.
- Own, drive and create best optimized designs to meet client requirements while maximizing throughput and minimizing cost, ensure quarter over quarter improvement in reduction of cost standard production.
- Deliver/develop manufacturing systems that are automized and have the appropriate ROI to the business. Ensuring plan drives cost to support wining work, that is measured by margin percentages.
- Drive best processes and manufacturing practices to deliver best cost & quality.
- Develop and coordinate international sourcing integrating delivery channels with US supply. Develop coordinated planning schedules, by job or product, to integrate both internal and external fabrication delivery.
- Ensure any 3rd party design meets the requirements of the client.
- For continuous production products, utilize the production plan to establish the production cost standards. Assure operations can meet those estimates. On a continuous basis, develop a complete production plan, review with leadership to establish labor standards.
- For job work, develop a production plan and the associated labor costs that will drive the estimates. Work with sales and technical engineering to develop a manufacturing execution plan including required labor. Propose alternative methods or technology to executive team to improve cost position.
- Develop, document and implement an international sourcing plan that leverages low cost manufacturing to maximize margin %. Success is measured in improvement in margin vs. all internal costs. This includes:Specify and develop RFP’s for any items that need to be procured (not including raw materials).
- Purchase/expedite PO’s and subcontracts to ensure vendors comply with project/product requirements.
- Build procurement strategy to maximize international supply chain in conjunction with domestic capabilities
Required qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities) to perform essential functions of this position
- Business Acumen - Knows how our business works; understands how the decisions they make affect the other departments and subsidiaries. Is aware how strategies impact entire business.
- Building Effective Teams - Blends people into teams when needed; creates strong morale and spirit in his/her team; shares wins and successes; fosters open dialogue; lets people finish and be responsible for their work; defines success in terms of the whole team; creates a feeling of belonging in the team.
- Functional/Technical Skills - Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment.
- Integrity and Trust - Is widely trusted; is seen as a direct, truthful individual; can present the unvarnished truth in an appropriate and helpful manner; keeps confidences; admits mistakes; doesn't misrepresent him/herself for personal gain.
- Managing and Measuring Work - Clearly assigns responsibility for tasks and decisions; sets clear objectives and measures; monitors process, progress, and results; designs feedback loops into work.
- Motivating Others - Creates a climate in which people want to do their best; can motivate many kinds of direct reports and team or project members; can assess each person's hot button and use it to get the best out of him/her; pushes tasks and decisions down; empowers others; invites input from each person and shares ownership and visibility; makes each individual feel his/her work is important; is someone people like working for and with.
- Organizing - Can marshal resources (people, funding, material, support) to get things done; can orchestrate multiple activities at once to accomplish a goal; uses resources effectively and efficiently; arranges information and files in a useful manner.
- Planning - Accurately scopes out length and difficulty of tasks and projects; sets objectives and goals; breaks down work into the process steps; develops schedules and task/people assignments; anticipates and adjusts for problems and roadblocks; measures performance against goals; evaluates results.
- Problem Solving - Uses rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions; probes all fruitful sources for answers; can see hidden problems; is excellent at honest analysis; looks beyond the obvious and doesn't stop at the first answers.
- Priority Setting - Spends their time and the time of others on what's important; quickly zeros in on the critical few and puts the trivial many aside; can quickly sense what will help or hinder accomplishing a goal; eliminates roadblocks; creates focus.
- Total Work Systems - Is dedicated to providing organization or enterprise-wide common systems for designing and measuring work processes; seeks to reduce variances in organization processes; delivers the highest quality products and services which meet the needs and requirements of internal and external customers; is committed to continuous improvement through empowerment and management by data; leverages technology to positively impact quality; is willing to re-engineer processes from scratch; is open to suggestions and experimentation; creates a learning environment leading to the most efficient and effective work processes.
Five (5) years of related experience as a Director/Manager of Manufacturing or above level in construction/manufacturing environment.
Bachelor’s Degree in a Business or Manufacturing Related Field is highly preferred. Ten or more (10+) years of experience as a Manufacturing Director or above level in construction/manufacturing environment may substitute for degree.
Specialized Knowledge – Certificates & Licenses
- Traditional volume manufacturing, beyond job based fabrication
- Standard Production metrics / KPIs
- Labor planning and delivery planning
- Design for manufacturability
- Operational balance, flow, throughput creation and assessment
- Estimating product costs, standard labor, cycle time.
- Measuring and improving cost of quality