This position has the responsibility for the maintenance, troubleshooting and administration of the organization’s production network infrastructure. The person in this position will work closely with members of the IT staff to ensure very high levels of network availability, security and efficiency. They will serve as the technical resource for network production operations support and relevant projects.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Working knowledge of LAN/WAN technology to configure and resolve problems with Cisco hardware and software.
- Provides first-level support to incidents that require the network team’s inclusion
- Evaluate, design, implement, and support new network architecture and existing deployments
- Participation in project delivery work, including device configuration, planning, and vendor coordination.
- Work with users to understand their needs and with IT personnel to develop effective system solutions for assigned applications.
- Develop and implement network infrastructure changes via the established Change Management process
- Act as technical resource to relevant network matters for other organizational units
- Provide succinct and timely, up-to-date project / network documentation; including drawings
- Practice network asset management that includes network device / component inventory, support agreements, relevant vendor contracts and others
- Perform hardware and software upgrades for new and existing equipment as needed.
Education and/or Experience, Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, related technical disciplines or additional equivalent practical experience
- 5+ years of experience in local and wide area network implementation and maintenance.
- In-depth working knowledge of LAN/WAN technology and be able to configure and resolve problems with Cisco hardware and software.
- Strong working knowledge of Ethernet cabling, T1s, routers, switches, firewalls.
- Effective written & verbal communication, as well as interpersonal skills to work in a team environment, establishing & maintaining good working relationships with others, to support team & company objectives, and a willingness to work in all operational areas.
- Strong dedication to quality customer service and superior telephone etiquette with the ability to deal effectively with customers, vendors, peers and management.
- Candidate must exhibit a sense of urgency, individual responsibility, and a willingness to accept constantly changing priorities.
- Ability to carry computer equipment up to 50 pounds
Required experience is commensurate with the selected job level:
- The Senior IT Specialist level requires a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience and 5-8 years of relevant job related experience
- The Lead IT Specialist level requires a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience and 8+ years of relevant job related experience
- The Principal IT Specialist level requires a Bachelor's degree or equivlanent experience and 10+ years of relevant job related experience.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Usually, normal office working conditions.
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position 50% of the time due to prolonged periods of sitting or standing.
- Up to 20% travel may be required including overnight travel.
- Visits to industrial/manufacturing settings which may include hazardous materials and chemicals, as well as extreme temperature conditions and loud machinery, and require appropriate personal protective equipment.
- Ability to carry computer equipment up to 50 pounds.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Vet
DISCLAIMER: The above statements, which are subject to change, are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.