LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB) is one of the largest plastics, chemicals and refining companies in the world. Driven by its employees around the globe, LyondellBasell produces materials and products that are key to advancing solutions to modern challenges like enhancing food safety through lightweight and flexible packaging, protecting the purity of water supplies through stronger and more versatile pipes, improving the safety, comfort and fuel efficiency of many of the cars and trucks on the road, and ensuring the safe and effective functionality in electronics and appliances. LyondellBasell sells products into more than 100 countries and is the world's largest producer of polypropylene compounds and the largest licensor of polyolefin technologies. In 2021, LyondellBasell was named to Fortune Magazine's list of the 'World's Most Admired Companies' for the fourth consecutive year.
This position assists Legal Department counsel in the preparation, analysis, and management of legal disputes, including pre-litigation disputes and formal legal proceedings. The position is based in Downtown, Houston, Texas.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Assisting counsel in identifying and obtaining key factual information relating to legal disputes, including collection of hard copy and electronic information, identiﬁcation of witnesses, and key chronological materials related to the matter;
- Managing the electronic discovery process in litigation matters and coordinating eﬀorts by counsel, IT personnel, and e-discovery vendors regarding same;
- Preparing, monitoring, and maintaining legal hold notices to ensure the Company's compliance with e-discovery and document management obligations;
- Maintaining electronic and hard copy ﬁles for legal disputes, as necessary, including use of legal matter tracking software;
- Preparing summaries of key corporate/business information, such as corporate or plant-speciﬁc summaries, to assist legal counsel in the handling of legal disputes;
- Assisting in the handling of and responding to document requests or other subpoenas;
- Monitoring and updating legal counsel on formal legal service upon the company and its aﬃliates Maintaining calendars for legal dispute matters, including answer dates, discovery response dates, trial dates, etc.;
- Assisting in the preparation of discovery responses for legal counsel;
- Researching public records ﬁling such as courthouse records and related information as relevant to particular legal proceedings; and
- Input matter budgets in the electronic matter management tool and prepare budget reports.
- High School Diploma, GED or equivalent required.
- Minimum of five (5) years' experience as a paralegal, ideally with experience at a major law ﬁrm or in-house at a public company.
- Minimum of three (3) years' experience with litigation support.
- Ability to remain organized, pay strict attention to detail, and meet critical deadlines within a high volume, fast-paced environment.
- Excellent time management skills, ability to support multiple internal clients, and eﬀectively manage a large volume of work.
- Self-motivated and proactive, with the ability to meet and exceed position requirements under minimal direction and supervision.
- Ability to operate professionally, eﬀectively, and ethically as an individual contributor and member of a team.
- Analytical, with strong problem-solving abilities and creative resolution skills.
- Consistently operate with the highest level of discernment and conﬁdentiality.
- Provide superior customer service, demonstrating sound logic and judgment.
- Strong interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills, with the ability to interface eﬀectively with individuals at various levels, both internal and external.
- Demonstrate unquestionable ethics.
- Eﬀectively communicate deadlines and resource needs.
- Paralegal certiﬁcation/training or Bachelor's Degree preferred.
- Experience working at a major law ﬁrm or in-house legal function at a public company.
Builds effective teamsCollaboratesCultivates innovationCustomer focusDemonstrates courageDrives resultsEnsures accountabilityInstills trust and exemplifies integrity
Must be at least 18 years of age and must be legally authorized to work in the United States (US) on a permanent basis without visa sponsorship.
LyondellBasell does not accept or retain unsolicited résumés or phone calls and/or respond to them or to any third party representing job seekers.
LyondellBasell is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected characteristics. The US EEO is the Law poster is available here.
Nearest Major Market: Houston