APPLICATIONS ACCEPTED FROM: ALL PERSONS INTERESTED
DIVISION: FACILITIES MAINTENANCE AND DEVELOPMENT
REPORTING LOCATION: 2999 S. WAYSIDE DRIVE
WORKDAYS & HOURS: VARIOUS*
*Subject to change
The Houston Parks and Recreation Department is dedicated to building a sustainable community and enhancing the quality of urban life by providing safe well-maintained parks and offering affordable programming for our community. To achieve this mission, HPARD is seeking a Senior Office Assistant to join its Greenspace Management Team. The potential candidate will play a key role in the following duties:
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Assist manager(s) and assistant manager(s) in the coordination of office management and operational activities by performing varied clerical tasks and administrative support duties in the assigned division.
- Answer telephone to screen and distribute calls, take messages, and answer simple questions.
- Greet and announce visitors.
- Receive and direct inquiries or comments regarding services.
- Open, sort, and distribute mail.
- Handle incoming routine correspondence using standardized responses of formats.
- Distribute correspondences, procedures, articles, reports, policies, bulletins, etc.
- Perform a variety of Microsoft Word to generate letters and documents and use Microsoft Excel to create and manage reports.
- Prepare and proofread correspondence, reports, forms, documents, etc.
- Compose and prepare simple and routine correspondence for supervisor’s approval.
- May maintain correspondence logs.
- Prepare and submit expense reports for management personnel.
- Gather and prepare materials and information for staff and business meetings and presentations.
- Maintain calendar by scheduling meetings, appointments, and travel arrangements; coordinates meetings by arranging meeting locations, distributing meeting notices and agendas; procures audio/visual equipment, and ensures proper setup.
- May prepare meeting minutes.
- Maintain a filing system for correspondence, reports, documents, complaints, financial records, budget information on section operations, general information on departmental operations, etc.
- Procure necessary supplies and service (e.g. office supplies, telephone change orders, equipment repair and maintenance, office furniture, office form, etc.)
- May prepare time and attendance for management’s signature.
- Collects and transmits departmental payroll information via SAP.
- Research system to resolve paycheck discrepancies.
- Enter data into Mapper database management system.
- Handles 3-1-1 calls, inquiries and service requests: coordinate 3-1-1 responses for the department
- Perform other duties as requested.
The position occasionally requires stooping or bending. Occasional very light lifting, such as three or four reams of papers or books (up to 20 pounds or an equivalent weight) may be required.