POSITION SUMMARY: The Senior Counsel - Real Estate will serve as one of the organization’s in-house attorneys focusing on commercial lease negotiations and landlord-tenant law, general real estate law, construction law, general corporate, business and commercial transactions law, and litigation management. Responsibilities include drafting commercial leases and other contracts and providing timely and accurate legal advice to executive management and staff. The position may be titled Associate Counsel for less-experienced candidates.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Quick and efficient drafting of commercial leases and other transactional agreements comprising the daily business of the company.
• Negotiates, drafts, interprets, and reviews complex transactional documents associated with company projects and programs, typically including the following matters (approximate estimated workload percentage in parenthesis): commercial lease drafting (Class A office and retail) and landlord-tenant law (45%), general real estate (15%), corporate, business and commercial transactions (25%), construction-related matters (10%) and litigation management (5%).
• Provides legal advice to executive management and staff within the attorney’s area of knowledge.
• Provides analysis and recommendations on the legal risks and strategies associated with disputes or settlements.
• May supervise, select, develop, train, and evaluate the performance of assigned staff.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• J.D. or LL.M. from an accredited law school, preferably a First or Second Tier school.
• Licensed to practice law in Texas, or if relocating to Texas, expects to be eligible soon.
• 5 to 12 years of experience negotiating commercial leases, commercial real estate agreements and/or other real estate related drafting experience, preferably with major law firm experience, real estate boutique law firm experience and/or previous similar in-house experience.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills.
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
• Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
• Ability to adapt to the needs of the organization and employees.
• Thorough knowledge of real estate law.
• Proficient with Microsoft Office and related software, including self-sufficiency from a secretarial perspective.
MetroNational is a private, family-owned real estate investment, development, and management company located in West Houston whose core interest is the Memorial City mixed-use development. The cornerstones of its business philosophy are teamwork, loyalty, integrity, and professionalism, which have led to winning a number of awards:
- Houston Chronicle Top Work Places
- Houston Business Journal Healthiest Employers
- Houston Business Journal Best Places To Work
- Cigna Well-Being Award
- American Heart Association Fit-Friendly Worksite
- Mother-Friendly Worksite
Flexible start date.