Upwork ($UPWK) is the world’s work marketplace. We serve everyone from one-person startups to over 30% of the Fortune 100 with a powerful, trust-driven platform that enables companies and talent to work together in new ways that unlock their potential.
Last year, more than $3.3 billion of work was done through Upwork by skilled professionals who are gaining more control by finding work they are passionate about and innovating their careers.
Imagine this: your product manager praises you for designing content in a critical flow that helps our customers and reduces support calls. You collaborate with a product designer on a pair writing session before they start mocking up wireframes. Your engineer sees an opportunity to rethink our approach to error messages and partners with you to craft a solution. Your CEO cares deeply about the way we use words to anticipate user needs throughout our product. That's real! That's Upwork. And, that's the team you'll be on.
As a Senior Content Designer, we'll rely on you for your thinking, not just your writing. You'll facilitate collaboration and use data to meet the needs of our users. You'll represent content design across the company, creating better outcomes for the people we serve. You'll do all this as part of a thriving and energetic remote team that has great benefits and values diversity and inclusion.
Now is a perfect time to join Upwork. Our platform gives businesses—large and small—a flexible workforce. Beyond that, we're seeing organizations invent new ways of working they had never before thought possible. We are the world's work marketplace, and we're planning to open up in even more areas throughout the coming year. As businesses escape the constraints of limited resources in record numbers, independent talent is turning to Upwork to set a new course for their lives.
- Write usable, useful, and responsible product copy
- Communicate your work persuasively, helping a variety of audiences understand and believe in your decisions
- Own a sprint-based backlog of work for your domain, proactively managing your workload and tracking tasks across multiple teams
- Partner closely with your team, which includes design, product management, and engineering
- Present your work for critique to other content designers, executives, and your teammates
- Advocate for Upwork's content design practice by establishing new workflows and coaching co-workers
- Turn complex, ambiguous inputs into clear writing that aligns with our product language principles
- Lead workshops and co-creation sessions to build shared understanding
- Translate UX research into language that anticipates needs and makes the experience easier to understand
- Get feedback with grace and humility, using it to improve your work and soft skills
What It Takes To Catch Our Eye
- A portfolio is required. While we're not picky about the format, we want to see your thought process, how you solved problems, and the impact you made.
- Proven experience as a product-focused content designer, UX writer, or content strategist
- The ability to advocate for content design and help others understand its value. Cold facts aren't always enough. At times, you'll need to bring the warmth of a proficient storyteller to get everyone on the same page.
- Experience using Sketch, Figma, Photoshop, Illustrator, or equivalent design tools. Do we expect you to make mock-ups and mood boards? Nope! But these tools will help you communicate and collaborate on your work.
- Examples of visual thinking. We'd love to see concept diagrams, journey maps, and any other examples.
- Service design skills that will help your team look beyond the interface and focus on what matters to the people who use our platform
Come Change How The World Works.
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. We are a remote-first organization working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals. While we have physical offices in San Francisco and Chicago, currently we also hire full-time employees in 19 states in the United States.
Our vibrant culture is built on shared values and our mission to create economic opportunities so that people have better lives. We foster amazing teams, put our community first, and have a bias toward action. We encourage everyone to bring their whole selves to work and grow together through development opportunities, mentorship, and employee resource groups. Oh yeah, we’ve also got amazing benefits.
Check out our Careers page to learn more about the employee experience.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.