Position: Senior Automation Engineer
Supervisor: Engineering Manager
- Position requires a Senior Automation Engineer with a minimum of 8 years of experience in an EPC environment focused upon delivery of I/C design packages for medium to very large projects. Experience performing as an automation lead is required.
- Field experience including startup and commissioning support is required. Experience in a petrochemical or refining environment is a plus.
- Projects will be executed in a multi-discipline team environment and may involve multiple offices.
- Travel (both foreign and domestic) will be necessary as required during design and construction / startup phases.
- Position reports to the Engineering Manager.
- Home office location is Houston, TX.
- Up to 25% travel may be necessary to satisfy project requirements
Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Senior Automation Engineer provides subject matter expertise within the organization for all instrument and control items.
- Serves as subject matter expert on FATs and SATs for packaged equipment, skid units, E-houses, analyzers, and control panels.
- Serves as a subject matter expert in model, design, maintenance and operability reviews.
- Supervisory or Lead responsibility over a group of engineers and designers providing technical direction primarily at a project level. Projects will be located in North America, and may be green or brown field. Supervised personnel may be located at the same office location, or remotely in other time zones. Supervised personnel may also not be direct employees. The Senior Automation Engineer needs then to coordinate and support design activities between disciplines and also locations to ensure a correct and comprehensive design package.
- Demonstrates through actions an understanding of professional and ethical responsibilities.
- Reviews, approves and produces deliverables as required to fulfill project needs either as an individual contributor or as part of a team of I/C engineers and designers, dependent upon project size and scope. Project I/C deliverables will include but are not limited to:
- P&IDs, instrument indexes, I/O lists, loop drawings, junction box drawings, control panel drawings, data sheets, control valve and meter sizing, control philosophy documents, C&E matrices, technical specifications, etc.
- Serves as primary contact for client, design team, third-party, and construction contractor communications related to automation design and implementation.
- Possess superior oral and written communication skills, and remote collaboration is essential due to the international coordination required for this work.
- Ensures compliance with specifications and codes for US and Canadian installations, and works as the Professional Engineer (PE) for the discipline as required. Performs duties of responsible engineer over engineering work under supervision, including sealing of contract documents when required.
- Reviews and comments on packaged equipment and vessel design drawing packages developed by third-party suppliers. Provides a direct interface with third-party suppliers as required.
- Provides technical expertise to team in determining the implementation of multiple packaged equipment skids into a comprehensive facility design.
- Checks drawings, specifications, and calculations produced by design team, suppliers, and equipment / skid unit providers.
- Assists Procurement with RFQ and RFP packages to procure automation equipment as required for each project. Provides technical input into vendor review and selection process including participation in shop audits.
- Provides estimates for the automation engineering, design, hardware, and support as required for proposal packages.
- Provides input and updates to fulfill project scheduling and budget control needs.
- Will be required to assist on site in construction, commissioning and startup activities, and act as the engineering discipline liaison to on-site contractors. May be required to lead on-site I/C group, and assist with planning and execution of activities.
- Position requires at least a Bachelor's of Science degree in an Engineering discipline.
- Other Science degrees may be considered based upon work experience in the automation field.
Required Certifications & Memberships:
- Mandatory PE registration in the State of Louisiana (LA).
- Multiple Professional Engineering (PE) registrations in other states (strongly preferred).
- Require the ability to promptly obtain further PE registrations as business needs arise.
- Ability to operate as Designated Professional (or similar depending on jurisdiction) as necessary for business or organizational needs.
- Continual maintenance of professional registrations obtained.
- Meets Model Law Engineer (MLE) requirements (preferred).
- Holds NCEES record (preferred).
- Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) holder (preferred).
- The experience requirement for this position is a minimum of 8 years in petrochemical or refining industries.
- The position requires an in-depth knowledge of field instrumentation, project deliverable development, control and design details for process and material handling projects.
- A thorough knowledge of ISA, ANSI, API, and ASME standards.
- Design and configuration of the following systems:
- Allen Bradley PLCs (Logix, PLC5, SLC)
- Honeywell (Experion, TDC3000)
- Rosemount (Delta V, CHARMS)
- Siemens (PCS7)
- Implementation of industrial networks and remote I/O architectures including DeviceNet, EtherNet IP, ControlNet, FieldBus, and ProfiBus.
- SIS system design, application, LOPA, and SIL level determination.
- Implementation of security, fire and gas systems.
- Implementation of tank truck / rail car loading, pipeline, and inventory metering systems.
- HMI configuration in Wonderware and iFix.
- Integration of VFDs, MCC, machine protection systems, third-party controls and controllers into facility control system.
- Control panel design and oversight of third-party fabricators in the production of control panels.
- The successful candidate will be proficient using Microsoft Office software and operating in a team office environment.
- The candidate will also be proficient in communicating throughout the project team and in working with team members in all disciplines to produce a comprehensive engineering package.
- Knowledge and use of SmartPlant (SPI, P&ID) and E-Plan design tools is a plus.
With over 90 years' combined experience, NES Fircroft (NES) is proud to be the world's leading engineering staffing provider spanning the Oil & Gas, Power & Renewables, Infrastructure, Life Sciences, Mining, Automotive and Chemicals sectors worldwide.With more than 100 offices in 45 countries, we are able to provide our clients with the engineering and technical expertise they need, wherever and whenever it is needed. We offer contractors far more than a traditional recruitment service, supporting with everything from securing visas and work permits, to providing market-leading benefits packages and accommodation, ensuring they are safely and compliantly able to support our clients.