Experis, a ManpowerGroup company has an exciting contract opportunity for a Project Engineering Manager
This position is a 6+ month contract for one of our key clients, an American Multinational Information Technology Company.
Job Title: Project Engineering Manager
Location: 202 N. Castlegory Road Houston Texas USA 77049 (This is a professional role, so the person may work in the primary office/HEC, at a plant site, 3rd locations or home as needed.)
Duration: 2022-09-19 to 2023-03-18 ( Varies on project, 1-2 years with extensions)
1.1 Purpose of Position
The majority of project costs are determined by Engineering/Design within the technical disciplines. This includes man hour cost, equipment and material cost, construction and erection cost. The Project Engineering Manager (PEM) is responsible for the performance of the engineering team within the project. The PEM has two major key functions: Obtain from business development the complete scope for the project and accurately relay and define the complete scope to each of the disciplines required for the project completion. Coordination of all engineering activities per the project schedules and manages coordinates all third party and client engineering activity.
• The PEM manages the engineering team and ensures completeness of the Engineering/Design deliverables.
• The PEM will develop the engineering organizational chart in conjunction with discipline managers.
• Besides his fulltime responsibility for the performance of the engineering team, the PEM has an overall job responsibility which is not limited to the engineering phase. His ownership reaches until acceptance of the plant which includes development of close out reports and transfer of all project documentation.
• The PEM manages the interfaces between each of the disciplines as well as between third-party supplied engineering and material and the client's design representative. Work with the Project manager and the Client to develop clear scope definition of all client scope and interface points including engineering deliverables, scope of services, timeline, etc.
• For the execution of the project, he shall support and promote all requirements for overall project engineering and procurement schedules and assist the Project Manager (PM) on managing cost by insuring all disciplines are competitively bidding equipment and materials for purchased.
• On all engineering and schedule issues he shall inform and report realistically, openly and in good time.
1.2 Objectives, Performance and Efficiency Criteria
The Project Engineering Manager should have minimum of 5 to 7 years' experience in his field and general knowledge of all phases of engineering and construction that will allow him to contribute to a successful management of the overall project:
• Ensure the project team is adhering to the Client safety standards and the safety in design is not compromised.
• Communicate clear project objectives and the detail engineering scope to the project team as defined in the contract documents. Coordinate preparation of the basis for the project design. Ensure engineering procurement and engineering activities are performed according to the project schedule. Review engineering activities on project and take corrective actions as necessary to stay within schedule.
• Review, monitor and coordinate delivery of quality engineering documents for field construction. Manage the project engineering team to deliver performance excellence by maintaining and improving and adhering to budgeted man-hours and costs.
• Ensure the best engineering solutions are evaluated and implemented for project.
• Develop early and consistent forecasts with plans for corrective actions as necessary.
• Ensure that scope change identification and timely submittal of design change notices is maintained on the project
• Ensure that value engineering with cost cutting exercises are carried out and incorporate the pertinent changes.
• Coordinate closely with other project discipline team members to expedite any discipline needs in order that project operations run smoothly and efficiently. Generate and maintain needs lists by disciplines to expedite project actives.
• Provide technical input where required and expected. Be confident in answering technical questions in a variety of discipline areas. This may involve solving/researching issues rather than expediting others
• Ensure that assigned project has adequate engineering resources and tools/equipment to meet project objectives.
• Facilitate communication and cooperation among discipline team members, procurement, construction, Project Manager and discipline managers.
• Ensure technical procedures and methods are being applied to the project, and the team is adhering to the Client Project Management Practices. Insure all disciplines are using Capital Projects Express and other smart tools as required by the project.
• Analyze Lessons Learned in other execution, construction and operations feedback to make the necessary technical changes on the project.
• Establish early project schedule activities, follow through with all engineering disciplines and monitor their progress.
• Support field activities and expedite all Request For Information (RFI) during the construction support phase.
• Organize and participate in design reviews and other reviews as required by the client and Project Manager ensuring completeness of the design criteria.
• Supervising preparation of the basis for design.
• Initiating / participating in HSE reviews (HAZOP, SIL, etc).
• Initiating / participating in 3D CAD model and Design Reviews.
• Initiating /participating in all Constructability Reviews.
• Supervising the engineering input for subcontract including scope of work and material quantities for project subcontracts.
• The Project Engineer Manager shall issue or coordinate the issue of all project documentation.
• The Project Engineer Manager shall review or coordinate the issue all vendors document approvals.
2 Organizational Integration
• The Project Engineer Manager has the overall responsibility for the performance of the engineering team to the Project Manager. He will daily review the project and procurement schedules to insure the disciplines are adhering to the project start and completion dates required.
• The PEM is authorized to give the Lead Engineers instructions regarding project related issues.
• The PEM may be empowered to act as on behalf of the Project Manager when so delegated.
• The PEM shall regularly meet (on a weekly basis) with the Project Manager during the project to coordinate all engineering functions and keep the PM informed.
• The Project Engineering Manager shall coordinate all project team members with regard to the respective task assigned. This applies in particular to project execution at several locations.
• The Project Engineering Manager shall coordinate and facilitate all project meetings, stage gates and discipline design reviews. The Project Engineering Manager shall chair all meetings and insure all meeting note are issued in a timely manner.
• The Project Engineering Manager shall coordinate all vendor representatives as needed during construction and start-up of the project