UnitedHealth Group is a company that’s on the rise. We’re expanding in multiple directions, across borders and, most of all, in the way we think. Here, innovation isn’t about another gadget, it’s about transforming the health care industry to improve the lives and health of others. Ready to make a difference? Make yourself at home with us and start doing your life’s best work.(sm)
OptumLabs serves as UnitedHealth Group’s research and development hub. Our vision is to create the most effective, affordable, equitable, and engaging health care solutions that improve patient health outcomes and experience, enhance provider experience, bolster health equity, and make health care more affordable. Our teams leverage big data insights, artificial intelligence, machine learning, and disruptive product development while capitalizing on engineering, clinical, and scientific innovations to build innovative health solutions.
OptumLabs has partnered with Optum Genomics to drive data strategy for genomics research and product use cases. The Optum Genomics team is committed to sourcing high-quality genomics data to inform a more complete view of health and to facilitate the evidence needed to get impactful genomics products into the clinic quickly and responsibly. It is imperative that this data be linked to clinical and claims data at scale and enriched with normalized and contextualized genomic features. Having access to this linked and enriched data allows researchers to understand and generate clinical utility evidence for genomic testing that is driven by real-world clinical outcomes. This evidence will open the door for more extensive use of genomics for precision medicine to improve patient care.
Our team will be responsible for developing a robust linked data asset and operationalizing this data for use in a variety of product and research use cases. We seek a Principal Data Scientist to be a deep healthcare data and analytic SME to support this work. This role requires a deep understanding of analytic application in healthcare business and clinical domains. You will have a special focus on extracting genomic features from existing lab data and developing BI reporting surrounding genomics test prevalence in the market.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Partner with Optum Genomics, OptumInsight, and OptumTech to execute the vision and agenda for new data acquisition and integration of genomics assets into the OptumLabs environment
- Develop and advance strategies for landing and operationalizing data assets focused on genomics research and product use cases including data linking and feature extraction
- Develop and execute high-quality data integration and delivery for genomics data, claims, clinical, and other data assets within operational control
- Meet client expectations and deadlines
- Define and develop approaches to extract genomic features from raw lab result comments through NLP Proof of Concepts internally or with third party vendors
- Define requirements and manage roadmap to improve usability of existing Optum data assets by exposing key data fields and implementing models that extract genomic features from existing data
- Partner with the Preferred Lab Network and internal OptumTech teams to prioritize and improve the data pipelines from the lab vendors through to the end users of the data
- Partner with Optum Genomics on product development of a prevalence and quality assessment product for laboratory developed tests leveraging internal OptumLabs data assets
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- 5+ years of experience managing data or analytic platforms with client delivery accountability
- 5+ years of experience developing and defining enrichments to create data products that are research ready (i.e., data linking, feature extraction, NLP, standardizations, etc.)
- 5+ years of experience with deep healthcare data knowledge and understanding, and experience across multiple assets (e.g. administrative claims, hospital billing/discharge, EMR, inventory/supplies for healthcare, etc.)
- 5+ years of experience leading teams and/or projects from ideation to delivery
- 3+ years of experience working with genomics data in a research or BI context
- Experience with downstream application of data and analytics (AI/ML experience preferred) in healthcare business and clinical setting
- Experience with Azure cloud ecosystem
- Experience with large data warehouse or big data projects
- Experience of privacy and security requirements for healthcare data
- Experience working in an ambiguous, complex environment and assisting in creating order, clear roadmaps, and a path forward
- Experience working in highly matrixed organizations; natural collaborator
- Experience with healthcare data and data models and be able to mentor/teach and communicate the value and rationale of different data needs, enrichments, and data model approaches
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential requirement of this role. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination prior to employment to ensure compliance
UnitedHealth Group requires all new hires and employees to report their COVID-19 vaccination status.
Careers at UnitedHealth Group. We have modest goals: Improve the lives of others. Change the landscape of health care forever. Leave the world a better place than we found it. Such aspirations tend to attract a certain type of person. Crazy talented. Compassionate. Driven. To these select few, we offer the global reach, resources and can-do culture of a Fortune 5 company. We provide an environment where you're empowered to be your best. We encourage you to take risks. And we offer a world of rewards and benefits for performance. We believe the most important is the opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado/Connecticut/Nevada residents is $94,500 to $171,700. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you'll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: Genomics, Research, BI, Azure cloud ecosystem, data warehouse, big data projects, privacy, security, data linking, feature extraction, NLP, standardizations, managing data or analytic platforms, Telecommute, Telecommuter, Telecommuting, Work at Home, Work from Home, Remote