Job Description and Qualifications
PRINCIPAL CIVIL STRUCTURAL ENGINEER
US-PA-Allentown or US-Houston, TX
Job Description and Qualifications
Do you enjoy working in a global corporate design environment? Are you looking to work within a fast-paced, forward thinking organization? Are you looking to expand your skills as a Principal Civil Structural Engineer? Air Products, Inc., a Fortune 500 manufacturer of industrial gases, has an immediate opening for a Principal Civil Structural Engineer.
The Principal Civil Structural Engineer position is currently based at the Air Products Offices at the Corporate Headquarters in Allentown, PA or in our Houston, TX office.
Job description summary
We are seeking a dedicated Principal C/S Engineer with experience in Cold Box Engineering & Design. The position involves projects covering a wide range of sizes and types of industrial applications: Air Separation Units (ASU), Hydrogen Processing Units, Process Gases & Gasification Units, LNG facilities, and Technology improvements. We provide support and liaison to global manufacturing facilities and construction sites.
The role of the Principal C/S Engineer is a combination of Structural Engineering analysis, leadership, and being responsible for the daily coordination of C/S Engineering & Design activities assigned to them. The Principal C/S Engineer reports functionally to the Field Manager and operationally to the Cold Box Lead Engineer. Input and leadership will be required in the development of conceptual designs and strategies, products, basis of design documents, specifications, standards, FEED, basic engineering & design, and detailed engineering & design. Post design and construction liaison support are many times necessary.
The Principal C/S engineer will work in a multi-discipline office environment and interact with global teams. It is desirable for the applicant to have FEED, EPC, and EPCM experience. Responsibilities include performing or leading all aspects of C/S basic engineering & design with leadership oversight for detailed engineering and design. Working under minimal supervision and providing technical guidance to less experienced personnel is required.
Job responsibilities are focused on an individual contributor preparing engineering designs, leading small teams, and coordinating workload between global regions. The candidate applicant will be responsible for leading C/S teams to complete conceptual FEED and Detailed Cold Box design projects while collaborating with global teams. Tasks include preparing conceptual and detailed calculations and drawing packages for manufacturing shops & site construction, attending project meetings, estimating engineering and design hours, managing budgets, developing schedules, working with other teams, and supporting site construction. Domestic and international travel is sometimes anticipated.
The applicant must be well versed in wind and seismic analysis. Experience with designing for moderate to high seismic criteria is a plus. Typical process plant structures include Cold Boxes, Cold Cans, crossovers, equipment supports, pipe supports, skids, modules, and access platforms.
- Support Project bid phase: participate in staff hours estimates, develop design strategies, collaborate with the project proposal team and technical experts, and assist in estimating construction/fabrication quantities and weights.
- Review Project scope: participate in developing basis of design criteria, execution strategies, and result schedules.
- Basic Design Phase: complete calculations for conceptual structural systems, check drawing results, and support the conceptual layouts for plot plan arrangements.
- Detailed Design Phase: coordinate with global teams for the completion of the detailed design results, participate in model reviews, ensure compliance with execution strategies, checking results, and serve as a liaison for shop and/or field construction support.
- Product Development: provide technical support, collaborate develop and evaluate strategies, and complete preliminary calculations.
- Attend project, product development & group meetings.
- Interface efficiently and effectively with other subject areas and project management.
- Support the creation and maintenance of work processes, engineering standards, specifications, guidelines, and/or job aids.
Minimum requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor or Master’s degree in civil or Structural Engineering with proven detailed engineering and leadership experience in Refinery/Petrochemical, Oil & Gas, or Power industry.
- PE licensed engineer.
- 12+ years of engineering experience with Cold Box Design, Cryogenic Structural Design, Module Design and equipment arrangement plot plans.
- 5+ years as a Lead Engineer or Team Lead
- Must be able to demonstrate leadership experience and skills.
- Proficient in using structural analysis modeling software such as RISA or STAAD.
- Technical solid understanding of structural materials including stainless steel, aluminum, and other low temperature service alloys.
- Proficient use of industry design codes: IBC, ASCE 7, AISC Steel Construction Manual, AISC 341, AWS, and ACI 318
- Solid understanding of Hard-working 3D (S3D) software tool.
- Must have the ability to organize and handle multiple project assignments.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Multi-office project experience, including international/domestic customers and locations.
- Takes personal responsibility for safety of self and others in and out of the office. Considers safety first in designs.
Willing to travel for business needs both domestically and international
At Air Products, we work in an environment where diversity is essential, inclusion is our culture, and each person knows they belong and matter. To learn more, visit About Air Products.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including paid holidays and vacation, affordable medical, dental, life insurance, and retirement plans. You will be eligible for benefits and also be 100% vested in your retirement benefits on your first day of employment!
Air Products thanks all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only those applicants who are being considered for an interview, or are currently employed by Air Products, will be contacted.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer (U.S.) You will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, citizenship, gender, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, or veteran status.
Business Sector / Division