Applications accepted from: ALL PERSONS
Job Classification: SENIOR PARALEGAL – MUNICIPAL PROSECUTION
Department: LEGAL DEPARTMENT
Division: MUNICIPAL PROSECUTION
Reporting Location: 1400 LUBBOCK
Workdays & Hours: MONDAY – FRIDAY 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM* *Subject to Change
The Office of the City Attorney for the City of Houston (the “OCA”) provides municipal legal services to the City, its elected and appointed officials, and its employees while adhering to the following guiding principles:
- Quality & Service – Achieving high customer satisfaction as judged by our clients.
- Partnership & Teamwork – Working cooperatively internally and with our clients to achieve the City’s goals.
- Integrity & Candor – Placing honesty and ethical behavior first.
- Dignity & Diversity – Promoting each person’s value.
- Innovation & Imagination – Seeking novel and creative approaches to achieving the City’s objectives.
Composed of approximately 100 of Houston’s finest attorneys working in 10 legal practice sections, the OCA handles personal injury, commercial and civil rights litigation, major commercial and real estate transactions, and a diverse array of human resources, labor and employment matters, while also counseling the municipal corporation on economic development, constitutional, election matters, ethics and quality of life matters, and preparing City ordinances governing Houston and its citizens.
Every member of the OCA must be committed to “Service Through Law.”
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
The City of Houston Legal Department seeks a skilled, energetic, team-oriented Paralegal with at least 5 years of experience in criminal and civil litigation support. The successful applicant is self-motivated, team-oriented, able to work independently, and excited to become a part of the Municipal Prosecution team. Superior knowledge of evidence and Texas criminal and civil procedure is preferred, but not required. The core functions and duties of the Paralegal include, but are not limited to:
- Assist attorneys with performing pretrial preparation such as trial notebooks, arranging exhibit preparation, subpoenas, scheduling court reporters and videographers
- Electronic filing of pleadings and court documents.
- Establishing a working relationship with various city departments.
- Creating physical files and maintaining case files for the duration of pendency of charges.
- Assisting with requesting, obtaining, organizing, and distributing discovery requests.
- Assisting with processing and responding to discovery requests.
- Assisting with creating, maintaining, and recording discovery files.
- Assisting in setting and resetting cases.
- Performing legal research on a wide variety of matters related to criminal law and procedure.
- Assisting attorneys in drafting various documents such as ordinances, resolutions, motions, and orders including formatting, reviewing, and verifying documents for accuracy.
- Assisting attorneys in preparing and organizing evidence.
- Recordkeeping and preparing reports.
- Working in Word, Outlook, Excel and other software programs.
- Special projects as assigned by attorneys and management.
- Other administrative duties as assigned.
This position is physically comfortable; the individual has discretion about walking, standing, etc. There are no major sources of discomfort in a normal office environment.