Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that's improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There's no room for error. Join us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
We are looking for a clinical content author for EHR Embedded Apps with Clinical Decision Support (CDS) Capabilities for our product strategy group at Optum. Working with the Director of Clinical Content, this individual will create, maintain, and QA advanced clinical decision support content and data in adherence with industry standard ontologies, clinical terminologies, information models and interoperable/integrate-able with current electronic medical record systems.
This individual will be responsible for review, understanding and translation of clinical guidelines from a narrative structure into a structured logical representation that faithfully interprets and disambiguates the original narrative. In addition, they will also partner and assist with the transformation of the structured logical representation into an executable form for implementation and deployment.
- Create, maintain, and QA advanced Clinical Decision Support content
- Translate clinical guidelines from a narrative format into a structured logical representation
- Break down clinical guidelines to the semantically precise clinical concepts referenced in the Clinical Guideline
- Collaborate with physician/clinician Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) and reviewers to ensure that content is clinically accurate, current, and supported by the best available evidence from the medical literature
- Work alongside with clinical terminologists to identify and represent clinical concepts using industry standard terminologies; and software architects and developers for implementation of the logical structured representation of the content using well defined data structures and algorithms
- Act as a content steward and facilitate the adoption and uptake of these processes and policies
- Work with software architects as a consultant to identify approaches to expose pieces of authored content as services and their optimal deployment in the context of multiple potential clinical workflows and CDS Triggers
- Assist in the development of architectures and best practices for content modeling, modularization, content versioning and maintenance
- Audit and Analysis of the structured logical representation for completeness and correctness – via the application of Test-Driven Content Development (TDCD)
- Design and use best practices for re-using pre-existing CDS artifacts – including but not limited to terminology Value Sets, Clinical Rules and Rule Templates, Semantic Definitions, Actions, Order Sets and Standardized Authoring Models where feasible.
- Critically assess the interplay between point of care, CDS triggers, order sets and catalogs and advanced clinical decision support content to scale content development
- Work cross-functionally with product teams to communicate capabilities and understand and integrate new capabilities into a rapidly evolving content platform.
- Provide consulting, training, and support for multiple authoring teams as they author clinical content in on our platform using out tools and approaches
- Train new teams of content authors in the use of tools, techniques, and best practices for content authoring
- Provide internal and external leadership in evidence-based medicine and clinical rules representation in health IT systems, such as EHRs and clinical decision support
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Current and non-restricted MD license
- Board certification in Clinical Informatics
- 5+ years of clinical practice experience
- 2+ years of experience in Informatics in support of clinical decisions (Clinical Content Management, Electronic Medical Records, precision medicine, analytics, and supporting services such as terminology systems)
- Experience of collaboration with Clinical SMEs and software architects/developers in a Care Delivery organization
- Highly skilled in logic with the ability to translate narrative text into structured logical representation
- Deep understanding and use of controlled medical terminology
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential requirement of this role. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination prior to employment to ensure compliance
- Master’s degree in Clinical Informatics, Healthcare, or related clinical discipline
- Familiarity or exposure to semantic technologies such as Knowledge Graphs, Labeled Property Graphs and OWL
- Ability to read and review clinical research study related articles and demonstrate understanding of clinical decision variables, predictive power, evidence levels and care effectiveness
- Ability to research Clinical Research - Able to search PubMed to identify evidence and plug holes in guidelines
- Familiar with health knowledge representation approaches for guidelines, rules, semantic relationships, and health information models. (GLIF, DMN, FHIR, CQL, EEL, Archetypes, UMLS)
- Thorough understanding of computer databases and standardized ontologies within clinical decision support
- Understanding of industry taxonomies such as, but not limited to ICD-10, SNOMED, and how they are used in a clinical set
- Familiarity with BRMS tools and languages, CQL, DMN and other emerging rules and decision modeling standards
- Demonstrated understanding of issues impacting the U.S. healthcare system, health information technology, and a working knowledge of national, and where applicable international, taxonomies, standards, and guidelines affecting the codification and delivery of clinical information content and decision support in electronic medical record systems
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients, and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies now require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles require full COVID-19 vaccination as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state, and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment.
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
For more information on our Internal Job Posting Policy, click here.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: Medical Director, Clinical Informatics