Applications Accepted From: ALL PERSONS INTERESTED
Division: Customer Experience
Location: 500 McKinney
Workdays & Hours: Mon - Sun, 8:00 am - 8:00 pm / Rotating Shift)
*Subject To Change
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES / ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
The Houston Public Library (HPL) seeks a passionate, experienced library professional with proven leadership skills and an ability to motivate and inspire staff to serve as a Marketing Specialist in the Communications division.
The Marketing Specialist will be responsible for developing and maintaining the promotion and marketing of the Houston Public Library system locally, regionally and nationally. The Marketing Specialist will also support the implementation of strategic marketing and communications plans and activities to broaden awareness and strengthen the library’s brand in alignment with organizational goals. The Marketing Specialist will support the marketing, communications and public relations activity for the system.
The successful candidate will be knowledgeable about current issues impacting library services, conversant about cutting edge services and trends especially in today's increasingly digital library environment, adept at fusing traditional and non-traditional library services, work closely with the community to build upon existing and establish new partnerships, communicate effectively, provide exceptional customer service, be at ease multitasking in a fast-paced public service setting, and enjoy interacting with people of all ages from diverse backgrounds.
The essential duties and functions of the position include but are not limited to the following:
- Collaborating with leadership at all levels of the organization to establish promotional and marketing goals as well as align strategies for the system;
- Works closely with highly dynamic stakeholder teams within the organization and externally to plan, develop and execute marketing efforts to promote the library and programs to the public;
- Coordinates marketing and public relations activities;
- Documenting the story of HPL to the world including writing and presenting compelling articles and multi-media stories and presentations highlighting HPL’s work and services in the community.
- Working collaboratively in cross-functional teams to discover and learn about the multitude of programs and services at HPL and identify and explore opportunities for articles, conference proposals, awards, etc;.
- Regularly conducts relevant market research, monitor trends, analyzes impact of marketing and communications efforts; identifies and assesses key market segments, audiences and marketing channel effectiveness;
- Supports the development and execution of the media strategy across all media (i.e. press, social, broadcast, print, etc.);
- Representing the organization at internal and external meetings, conferences, etc.;
- Maintains active membership in state, regional, and national library and professional associations and organizations;
- Supports the content creation and management for website and intranet;
- Implements short- and long-range marketing plans/programs.
- Participates in developing, preparing and presenting marketing and support materials to promote the library.
- Participates in the coordination of the copy writing, design, layout, paste-up and production of promotional materials used in marketing campaigns.
- Supports the development of a marketing communications plan including strategy, goals, budget and tactics
- Developing a media relations strategy, including print, broadcast and online media placements
- Managing social media engagement across traditional and new media
- Leveraging existing media relationships and cultivating new contacts within media;
- Manage media inquiries and interview requests;
- Creating content for press releases, byline articles and keynote presentations;
- Evaluating opportunities for partnerships, sponsorships and advertising on an on-going basis.
- Hiring, supervising, training, coaching, developing and evaluating subordinates;
- Develops, implements and monitors systems and procedures necessary to ensure effective and efficient operations; Regularly reviews external and internal communications policies and develops or suggests revisions as needed;
- Managing allocated budgets and fund reports;
- Preparing special reports such as monthly statistics;
- Responding to written, telephone, electronic inquiries, requests, and complaints internally and externally regarding organization, programs and activities;
- Representing the Library in the community during and after hours;
- Leading special projects and initiatives; and
- Performs other duties as assigned and/or delegated by the Deputy Assistant Director-Communications, Deputy Director or Director including handling issues and information of a highly sensitive nature.
Driving is an essential function of this position, as the selected candidate will frequent different Houston Public Library locations, and therefore must have a valid Driver's License and be compliant with the City of Houston policy on driving (AP 2-2).
Applicants are encouraged to submit a Cover Letter and Resume when applying. HPL serves a population of 2.2 million citizens through a network of 37 Neighborhood Libraries spread out across the Houston area, a Central Library, and three Special Collections Libraries. For a location listing of our 37 Neighborhood Libraries and Central Library, please visit https://houstonlibrary.org/all-locations
There are no major sources of discomfort, i.e., essentially normal office environment with acceptable lighting, temperature and air conditions. The position is physically comfortable; the individual has discretion about walking, standing, etc.