Senior Systems Engineer, Full Time - Houston, Texas
Do you love technology and enjoy working in a dynamic work environment? PennComp has been providing IT services to small to medium-sized businesses in the Houston area for more than 30 years. PennComp is committed to developing long-term, professional relationships with our clients and providing an exceptional customer service experience. Our diverse and dedicated staff partner with our clients to create solutions that will help them achieve their business objectives. We are seeking to expand our technical staff and are looking for highly motivated and detailed oriented individuals to join our team! Our top-notch team fosters an atmosphere where even the most seasoned experts can learn and grow.
Ideal individuals should have the following skill set;
- Ability to nurture professional relationships to become our client's trusted advisor/partner.
- Conduct business reviews and assist clients in creating technology road maps that align technology with defined business objectives.
- Passion for delivering remarkable customer experience and success with a commitment to integrity and excellence.
- Ability to translate complex technology solutions into terms/concepts that can be understood at all levels of the organization is a must.
- Experience in consulting, ability to work well in multiple client settings.
- Accurately identify and resolve support incidents from remote users in a professional manner.
- Provide end-to-end client support with a broad-based IT background with a technical understanding of networks, protocols, security configurations, and identity and access management.
- Knowledge of cloud-based technologies such as Microsoft Azure and Office 365 and Amazon Web Services (AWS).
- Ability to deploy on-premise and cloud-based technology solutions utilizing current security best practices.
- Ability to configure and deploy multi-factor authentication technologies such as Microsoft MFA and Cisco Duo.
- Experience with security awareness and training technologies such as KnowBe4.
- Experience supporting client environments including on-premise, private cloud and hosted cloud solutions.
- Hands-on experience with virtualization platforms such as Microsoft Hyper-V and VMware vSphere.
- Able to install, configure, maintain, and monitor client server environments with an emphasis on Windows Server 2012, 2016, and 2019.
- Extensive experience with Microsoft Active Directory, Group Policy, DHCP, DNS, IIS, and Remote Desktop as well as Microsoft Exchange, both on-premise as well as with Microsoft 365.
- Create and maintain internal and client facing documentation.
- Create and execute statements of work and project plans.
- Ability to work within a ticketing system, prior ConnectWise Manage experience a plus.
- Experience working at an MSP preferred with knowledge of remote monitoring software such as ConnectWise Automate.
- Exposure to networking with the ability to troubleshoot common networking issues.
- Ability to design, configure, maintain, and monitor WAN and VPN connections to remote divisions requiring a core knowledge of Thin Client, TCP/IP, IPSEC, SSL, RDP and VPN protocols.
- Implement and support backup and disaster recovery solutions such as Veeam Backup & Replication.
- Excellent communication, organizational, and time-management skills, prioritizing to ensure superior performance and client satisfaction.
- Willingness to develop professionally.
- Industry recognized IT infrastructure and security related certifications (Microsoft, VMware, Cisco, and Fortinet) highly desirable.
Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities Required: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to work on multiple priorities and/or projects simultaneously
- Excellent listening, team building, and communications skills, both verbal and written
- Strong customer relationship skills, with high emphasis on customer service and professional image
- Well-organized, detail-oriented and self-motivated
- Ability to provide and maintain detailed documentation on each job
- Strong computer skills and the ability to effectively communicate through email
- Working knowledge and experience with current security best practices and security awareness training
- Knowledge in advanced networking configurations
- Experience in Microsoft Windows Server operating systems
- Ability to successfully train clients on new solution(s) implemented
- Problem-solving abilities and ability to meet reasonable deadlines
- Ability to build positive and collaborative relationships
- Willingness to develop professionally
- Excellent time management, organizational and problem-solving skills to be able to carry out assignments with little supervision; ability to work independently and in a fast-paced environment
- Work proactively and collaboratively with entire staff
- Strong conflict resolution skills and negotiation skills
- Ability to adapt to project shifting priorities and demands and prioritize tasks
- Responsible for time management; ability to adjust hours of work, priorities, and assignments to ensure adequate performance and client satisfaction
- Minimum five years of experience in a systems engineer role
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Team player with an enthusiastic achievement driven attitude
- Motivated towards improving technical skills within and outside of the workplace
- Able to lift 40 lbs. as a normal component of system setups and moves
Experience with the following technology:
- VMWare (vCenter and multi host experience a plus)
- Hardware including server configurations, storage methodologies, network routing and switching
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012/2016/2019
- Microsoft Exchange Server 2013/2016/2019
- Microsoft Active Directory; Group Policy administration
- Microsoft Azure and related cloud-based technologies
- Cisco Duo identity and access management technologies
- Security awareness technologies such as KnowBe4
- Microsoft Remote Desktop
- Virtualization technologies including VMWare or HyperV
- Backup Solutions including Veeam Products, Datto, and Syncrify
- SQL Server Maintenance and Administration 2012, 2014, 2016 and 2019
- Firewalls/switches (Cisco, Fortinet, HP, and Meraki experience preferred)
- Windows 7 and greater
- MS Office 2013/2016/2019 and O365/M365
- Security and antivirus products (TrendMicro, ESET and Symantec experience preferred)
- Spam filtering technologies (Barracuda and O365 experience preferred)
If you match these criteria and are interested in a challenging and rewarding position where you can grow your knowledge and help build strong technical solutions, please submit your resume. All resumes will be considered strictly confidential and will only be viewed by management. If you are not sure that this position is a fit for you, but would like to hear more about the opportunity, please do not hesitate to submit an application with confidence that your inquiry will remain confidential.
Educational/Vocational/Previous Experience Recommendations:
- Bachelor's degree from a four-year college/university in Information Systems or Engineering
- Microsoft 365 Certified: Modern Desktop Administrator Associate or Microsoft Azure Certification is preferred
- Willingness to earn vendor certifications (e.g. Microsoft, Fortinet, etc.) is preferred
- Cisco Certified Network Administrator or Professional (CCNA or CCNP) is preferred
- Minimum ten years of experience in a systems engineer role is preferred
- Professional office environment, including ties for men and professional dress for women
- Travel to clients on a daily basis; county guidelines are followed and updated as available
- Excellent benefits - health insurance, dental, vision, vacation, and 401k
- Compensation is commensurate with experience
The statements above are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. Other duties may be assigned as needed.