At Houston Methodist, the Lead Anesthesia Tech (AT) functions as the lead person and performs lead job duties and/or regularly leads projects or performs specialized responsibilities as a regular part of their normal job responsibilities. In addition to the lead responsibilities, this position also functions at a Technician/Technologist II level. The Lead AT serves as the liaison between management, staff and physicians for routine matters, as the primary point of contact for resolving questions and issues for the AT and Sr AT jobs as well as support staff, resulting in the delivery of exceptional patient care and adherence to standards of practice for optimal patient safety, quality outcomes, and customer service. Duties for this position may be varied and may include many of the following: organize work schedules, assign work, review and edit time cards for accuracy, conduct quality assurance audits of staff performance, develop and implement quality improvement activities, train and mentor staff, provide feedback on staff performance and developmental needs, participate in the development of skills and performance of staff, lead and regularly perform special projects, collect/analyze/report on data, prepare reports on performance and metrics, and other responsibilities of a similar nature and level.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 30 %
- Orients, guides and mentors team members consisting of ATs and Sr. ATs and support staff, to help build confidence and competency in skills, knowledge and abilities. Serves as a resource and trainer for staff in anesthesia support activities such as but not limited to reprocessing flexible scopes and TEE probes in accordance with standards. (EF)
- Promotes a positive work environment and leads the team to be a dynamic and focused work unit that actively helps one another to achieve optimal department results. Collaborates with all members of the interprofessional patient care team by actively communicating and reporting pertinent patient care information and data in a comprehensive manner. Role models to team members effective communication skills, assisting in their development of such skills. (EF)
- Effectively implements protocols and objectives with team members to result in optimization of staff performance, teamwork, patient safety, and customer service. Provides feedback to management on team member performance and conduct. Offers direction and develops skills of team members and continually assists with improving skills, performance and outcomes. (EF)
SERVICE - 20 %
- Works independently, exercising sound judgment and executing above average clinical skills on challenging anesthesia procedures, patient care situations and in all monitoring and anesthesia locations including but not limited to operating rooms, catheterization laboratories, intensive care units, and other patient care areas where anesthesia is performed. (EF)
- Assists the anesthesia providers and other members of the patient care team as needed in the provision of patient care before, during and after procedures. (EF)
- Serves as liaison between team members, management and physicians, resolving routine matters. Assists physicians during procedures. (EF)
- Organizes the work flow, pro-actively problem-solves, anticipating needs, managing multiple ongoing priorities with minimal supervision. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 20 %
- Cleans and disinfects equipment and work areas between patients following infection control standards and department procedures. (EF)
- Identifies opportunities for corrective action and process improvement providing recommendations and contributes to meeting departmental and hospital targets for quality and safety. Reports "near misses" and inputs error promptly into PSN to improve processes and identify trends. (EF)
- Conducts quality audits on equipment, processes, outcomes and team member performance. Documents, develops and evaluates processes and procedures. (EF)
- Assists with implementation and education of departmental based safety initiatives, standards of practice and protocols. Develops skills of team members and continually assists with improving skills, performance and outcomes. (EF)
FINANCE - 15 %
- Ensures that anesthetizing areas and anesthesia services work stations are put back together, organized properly, and ready for use as soon as possible after each case. This includes, but not limited to, keeping monitor cables stored neatly, ensuring that anesthesia gases are turned off, unused supplies are restocked properly, and equipment are put back in designated places. (EF)
- Uses resources efficiently; does not waste supplies. Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize daily tasks and provides leadership to team members on effective and efficient utilization of time, minimizing incidental overtime. If assigned, accurately reviews and edits team members' time cards for management approval. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 15 %
- Participates in committees and task forces as assigned, ensuring that critical objectives are clearly explained and action items are appropriately performed. Follows up on action items as necessary to ensure completion of assignments. Seeks opportunities to expand learning beyond baseline competencies with a focus on continual development as a Technician/Technologist (EF)
- Fosters a positive and constructive teaching environment by engaging co-workers (AT's and Sr. AT's) in learning opportunities that are valuable and in alignment with business objectives. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- Associates degree in Anesthesia program
- High School diploma or equivalent education (examples include: GED, verification of homeschool equivalency, partial or full completion of post-secondary education, etc.)
Grandfather clause: The ASATT governing body has an extensive grandfather clause exempting all individuals employed to practice anesthesia in a health care facility before June 17, 2015. An anesthesia tech who was certified before June 17, 2015, is recognized as an anesthesia tech without meeting the education requirement of the certification.
- Four (4) years' experience as an Anesthesia Tech to include experience in a lead/supervisor capacity
- May consider an HM employee with at least three (3) years Anesthesia Tech experience of which at least one (1) year is as a HM Anesthesia Tech II and who demonstrates leadership abilities
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
- American Heart Association BLS
- Anesthesia Tech certification through the American Society of Anesthesia Technologists & Technicians (ASATT)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations.
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
- Possesses basic computer knowledge; operates multiple computer systems to include, Hospital / Anesthesia Information Systems and Office software to maintain patient and exam documents
- Ability to work independently; capable of handling challenging / difficult anesthesia procedures and patient care situations. Demonstrates sound judgment and executes above average clinical skills
- Exhibits strong interpersonal, teamwork and leadership skills with all levels of the healthcare team and assures delivery of excellent customer service to all patients, visitors, physicians and co-workers
- Adapts to multiple ongoing priorities with minimal supervision including, organizing work flow and actively participating in problem solving
Work AttireYes/NoUniform NoScrubsYesBusiness professionalNoOther (dept. approved) No
On-Call* Yes, on a regular basis (for Non-Exempt or Exempt jobs)
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (i.e. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc.) regardless of selection above.
May require travel within NoHouston Metropolitan area
May require travel outside No of Houston Metropolitan area
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: __________________________
Based in the Texas Medical Center, Houston Methodist Hospital is delivering on a mission started in 1919, which continues today – bringing quality, integrity, compassion and innovation into everything we do. As the flagship hospital of Houston Methodist, Houston Methodist Hospital is a nationally recognized medical center with a history of health care innovation. Houston Methodist Hospital was awarded Magnet recognition for nursing excellence for a fourth consecutive time by the ANCC. In addition, Houston Methodist Hospital was recently named by U.S. News & World Report as one of the country’s top 20 hospitals and was also ranked the No. 1 hospital in Texas for the fifth consecutive year.