Houston office - Houston, TX
4 Year Degree
At McConnell Jones, we aim to be a catalyst for positive growth fostering an environment where unique perspectives come together to enhance client solutions. As one of the top 3 largest African American owned CPA firms, we pride ourselves on the quality of our work, the tenure of our clients, and our own diversitynearly two-thirds of our people are from an ethnically diverse background. The diversity of our people empowers the diversity of our client solutions, as captured by the firms tagline, Diverse Thinking | Unique Perspectives.
Our Mission: To foster an environment where unique perspectives come together to enhance client solutions.
Our Vision: To be a catalyst for positive growth through the power of diverse thinking.
Our Values: Creativity, Inclusion, Transparency, Accountability
This position will be onsite in Houston client office. Summer hours are Monday-Thursday 7:30AM 6:30PM.
This role will perform semi-complex, staff level, performance/operational and compliance audits for Higher Education institutions, including operational audits, program audits, Title IV, Title IX, NCAA and other Single Audit regulatory compliance specific to Higher Education. Conduct consulting advisory work to identify root causes and systemic issues for the purposes of improving business processes and internal controls. Work involves conducting research and benchmarking; examining and reviewing records; analyzing management reports, audit reports and financial statements; performing data analysis; assessing business processes; and evaluating management practices. Works closely with, and reports to, the MJs Internal Audit Manager and/ or Director, with some latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
- Participate in audit planning activities, including risk assessments, research, and interviews.
- Participate in the development of audit scopes, objectives, procedures, and deliverables.
- Participate in audits that are complex in nature.
- Perform data analysis to identify compliance and anomalies.
- Prepare detailed working papers according to firm standards.
- Examine and analyze management operations, internal control systems, and accounting records.
- Provide recommendations for changes in business processes to mitigate risk or improve efficiency.
- Prepare written reports.
- Participate in meetings with client staff at all levels within the organization from clerks to executives.
- Participate in special projects and investigations.
- Conduct research on unfamiliar terms, processes, and operations.
- Collaborate with other members of the engagement team to plan the engagement and develop work program timelines, risk assessments, and other planning documents.
- As part of our compliance program, all team members are required to follow industry leading data and system security practices.
Required Education and Experience
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with an accounting or business administration degree.
- At least 3years experience performance auditing to professional audit standards and business process improvement experience
- At least 3 years experience conducting operational audits in Higher Education institutions.
- At least 3 years experience Title IV, Title IX, NCAA and other Single Audit regulatory compliance specific to Higher Education.
- At least 3 years experience conducting compliance audits in accordance with 2 CFR Part 200 Uniform Guidance (former OMB Circular A-133).
- At least 3 years experience conducting special investigations in Higher Education institutions.
- One or more of the following certifications (or progress toward the following certifications) are preferred: Certified Public Accountant (CPA) and Certified Internal Auditor (CIA), Certified Information Security Auditor (CISA) and will be required to be obtained within two years of employment.
- Experience in performance auditing in accordance with generally accepted auditing standards.
- Experience with risk based integrated internal auditing.
- Ability to identify key internal controls and process risks.
- Strong spreadsheet and MS Office skills.
- Proficient with data analytic skills.
- Experience in conduction performance audits of organizations functions such as accounting, procurement, human resources, administrative and other business operations functions.
- Understanding of information technology general controls.
- Experience in conducting audits using the Committee of Sponsoring Organizations of the Treadway Commission (COSO) framework.
- Ability to execute audit programs for various client environments, information systems and applications, including financial systems.
- Ability to manage time and meet deadlines while working on multiple audits at a time.
- Ability to quickly gain a working understanding of unfamiliar administrative or program areas.
- Ability to ascertain the root cause of conditions.
- Ability to deliver compelling verbal presentations or briefings.
- Ability to compose clear, accurate and concise written communications.
- Ability to anticipate the impacts of proposed changes to internal processes or policy.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective internal and external relationships, partnerships, and credibility.
- Ability to establish and maintain the trust of staff and senior leadership.
Preferred Education & Experience
One to three years experience working in Internal Audit or Compliance Divisions of a Higher Education Institution.
- Generous PTO.
- 11 paid company holidays with 3 floating.
- Medical plan with HSA employer contribution, Dental, Vision available 1st of the month after start date.
- Company paid Long Term Disability.
- Company paid Life Insurance.
- 401k with company match up to 4% and 100% vested from day one.
- Certification Reimbursement program.
- CPA exam review benefit with Becker CPA.
- Employee Referral bonus opportunities from $1,000 to $5,000 per hired referral.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
McConnell & Jones is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer that does not discriminate in employment and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or status as a qualified individual with a disability or Vietnam era or other protected veteran. McConnell & Jones policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment. To achieve our goal of equal opportunity, we maintain an affirmative action program through which we take good faith efforts to recruit, hire and advance in employment-qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, Vietnam era veterans, and other protected veterans.