ABOUT SOUTHWEST WATER
We are an investor-owned water and wastewater company headquartered in Sugar Land, Texas. We currently have an opportunity for a part-time Human Resources Assistant who can perform administrative tasks and services to support the effective and efficient operations of the Texas Utilities human resource department.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential Functions Statement(s)
- Prepares and maintains accurate and up-to-date human resource files, records, and documentation, which include personnel, confidential, worker's compensation, and medical files.
- Assists with the management and maintenance of HR file rooms, storage rooms, and offsite retention facilities.
- Responsible for the periodic purge of retention files and other appropriate paperwork.
- Assist with the pre-employment onboarding process: submits online investigation requests, assists with new employee background checks, provides status updates to candidates and hiring managers.
- Maintains monthly temp/contractor information and provides to accounting.
- Distributes HR mail, scanning mail to remote recipients as needed.
- Performs clerical duties that include: ordering office supplies and baby blankets, ordering gift cards, tracking gift card acknowledgments, coding HR invoices, and P-card statements, ordering Federal and State labor law posters, and creating purchase requisitions.
- Answers frequently asked questions from applicants and employees relative to standard policies, benefits, hiring processes, etc.; refers more complex questions to appropriate senior-level HR staff or management.
- Serves as a backup for HRIS data entry in Employee Central.
- Assists with the planning and execution of special events such as benefits enrollment, organization-wide meetings, employee engagement events, holiday parties, and retirement celebrations.
- Assists with tracking and formatting of job descriptions.
- Assists with special HR-related projects as assigned.
- Adaptability - Ability to adapt to change in the workplace.
- Accuracy - Ability to perform work accurately and thoroughly.
- Analytical Skills - Ability to use thinking and reasoning to solve a problem.
- Autonomy - Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Confidentiality Maintain confidentiality with sensitive information.
- Detail Oriented - Ability to pay attention to the minute details of a project or task.
- Friendly - Ability to exhibit a cheerful demeanor toward others.
- Patience - Ability to act calmly under stress and strain, and of not being hasty or impetuous.
- Communication, Oral - Ability to communicate effectively with others using the spoken word.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
Education: High School diploma required, some college or Bachelor's Degree preferred
Experience: 2 years of related experience
Computer Skills: Proficient in Microsoft Office with strong Excel skills. SAP experience is a plus.
Work requires the direct application of a variety of procedures, policies, and/or precedents. Moderate analytic ability is required in applying guidelines, policies, and precedents, and in adapting standard methods to fit facts. Requires moderate supervision under standard operating procedures; function autonomously, with supervisors available to answer questions. Requires tact and cooperation in scheduling/coordinating calendars, resolving problems, and/or obtaining necessary information from employees or outside sources.