At Murphy Oil Corporation, we believe the rich experiences and backgrounds of our employees strengthen our Company, create a productive workforce, and drive our success. We encourage you to apply for the positions for which you meet the qualifications.
The HSE Specialist – Global will be responsible for maintaining the Murphy HSE Management System, will support internal office and field audits/assessments, will support Global HSE improvement initiatives, and support the Contractor Management program. They will also be required to visit the field locations (at least) 2-weeks per month, including Offshore, Onshore and Canada.
This position reports to the Global HSE Advisor in Murphy’s Houston, Texas office. The Murphy HSE group is a Global Function supporting all operational areas The HSE group reports to VP, Global HSE who in turn reports to SVP, Technical Services, who in turn reports to CEO.
The HSE Specialist will work in our Houston Corporate office and may work two (2) days a week remote.
- Participate in implementing and facilitating the auditing & assessment of Murphy’s Global HSE Management System (HSE-MS), covering Onshore, Offshore, and International business
- Steward development and improve the HSE-MS to reflect changes in regulatory requirements and/or company requirements
- Track all action items for incident investigations, Audits/Assessments, Contractor Management, and report status to the management team
- Pursue action parties to ensure action items are closed in a timely manner
- Provide predictive analytics and applied statistics in analysis of HSE data on a semiannual basis to support continuous improvement of the HSE-MS
- QA/QC data and classify incidents in the Incident Reporting and Investigation Software (SAP)
- Push safety alerts via notifications or an alert system with escalations based on work type, equipment, SSE policy, increased risk, and lessons learned from prior incidents
- Develop Safety Advisories, Safety Spotlight, and Incident Alerts as necessary
- Assist Operations as needed or requested to develop and improve compliance with the HSE Management System
- Willing to attend and be able to pass HUET (Helicopter Underwater Egress Training)
- SafeGulf, Safeland, or equivalent
- Associate degree in a safety related field, ie: Occupational Health and/or Environmental
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in the coordination and oversight of safety programs of offshore, onshore, international, marine sector and/or oil & gas
- Demonstrated strong logical reasoning, facilitation, mentoring and communication skills
- Demonstrated experience with management systems or policy & procedure development and implementation
- Familiarity with data management systems
- Solid understanding of database concepts and database management systems
- Ability to understand challenges and formulate analytical solutions
- Ability to work effectively in a field operational environment with field personnel
- Ability to work effectively in a highly collaborative environment and with multiple levels of the organization
- Demonstrated knowledge of MS Office software applications and ability to manipulate data and generate reports
- Willingness and ability to travel to domestic and international locations
- Willing to travel to field locations, including offshore at least 2 weeks per month
- Ability to fly in helicopters and/or ride ocean going vessels to offshore platforms
- Must be willing to stay overnight
- Mobility to walk and access locations and offshore platforms
- Ability to communicate safety concepts in a practical way to all levels of the organization
- Ability to speak in front of groups to conduct meetings and training events
- Murphy requires all new employees to be vaccinated against COVID as defined by CDC, subject to applicable, verifiable accommodation requests
Desired / Preferred Qualifications
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in safety related field, i.e.: Occupational Health and/or Environmental
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in the coordination and oversight of safety programs of offshore, onshore, international, marine sector and/or oil & gas
- Demonstrated understanding of basic oil and gas upstream activities
- Knowledgeable in operations processes and the associated risks
- Working knowledge of OSHA, OH&S, TRRC, BSEE regulations and other applicable HSE regulations, especially in Murphy’s current operational areas
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and the proven ability to communicate effectively and influence various individuals and groups across organizational lines
- Proven organizational skills and abilities
- The ability to multi-task and prioritize skills/tasks, to support multiple groups
- Self-starter with initiative to identify efficiency opportunities, enhance work processes, and gain personal knowledge
- Ability to evaluate issues, define requirements, and implement action plans to accomplish organizational goals
- Self-starter, with strong work ethic, capable of productive work in a team environment
- Capable of communicating productively across the organization, from wellhead to the boardroom
- Proven ability to:
- Gain trust and confidence of others
- Teach and train others
- Influence positive HSE behavior without adopting the “safety police” mentality
- Analyze problems and provide workable solutions
- Utilize SAP Incident Management Software to ensure the timely processing and closure of incidents
- Good listener
We believe in providing energy that empowers people.
We challenge the norm, tap into our strong legacy and use our foresight and financial discipline to deliver inspired energy solutions.
We see a future where we are an industry leader who is positively impacting lives for the next 100 years and beyond.
VALUES & BEHAVIORS
Do Right Always
- Respect people, safety, environment and the law
- Follow through on commitments
- Make it better
Think Beyond Possible
- Offer solution
- Step up and lead
- Don’t settle for “good enough”
- Embrace new opportunities
Stay With It
- Show resilience
- Lean into challenges
- Support each other
- Consider the implications
Murphy Oil Corporation participates in the Department of Homeland Security U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services' E-Verify program. Please read the E-Verify Notice-English / E-Verify Notice-Spanish and Right to Work Notice before proceeding with your job application.
For additional information, you may also visit the USCIS website.
Murphy Oil Corporation is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, genetic information, age, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, protected veteran status or any other category protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law Poster
EEO is the Law Supplement