WHO WE ARE
Michael Baker International is a global leader in Engineering, Architecture and Consulting professionals dedicated to developing and implementing innovative solutions to the world’s infrastructure and environmental challenges. Supported by more than 3,000 employees in nearly 100 locations across the United States, we provide a full continuum of engineering and consulting services, including design, planning, architectural, environmental, construction and program management. Our clients include U.S. federal, state and municipal governments, foreign allied governments, and a wide range of commercial clients. Michael Baker is committed to delivering a standard of excellence that fosters a culture of innovation, collaboration and technological advancement to help solve our clients' complex challenges.
We are a national leader in implementing straightforward approaches to development and deployment of scalable enterprise Geospatial Information Technology (GIT) solutions. Michael Baker International has differentiated itself and expanded its capabilities by using the latest technologies. For example, we use aerial, static and mobile Light Detection and Ranging (LiDAR) systems that accurately determine range, elevation, and other critical mapping data. With hundreds of Geographic Information Systems (GIS), survey, mapping and IT professionals in our Technology Practice across North America, Michael Baker International possesses in-house experience and resources to support all elements of your program needs, including: needs analysis, digitizing/data conversion, customized mapping applications, and systems documentation, implementation, and training.
Michael Baker International is actively seeking a Geospatial Information Systems (GIS) Specialist for our Houston, TX office. Under direct supervision, responsible for input, update, modification, manipulation and providing basic analysis of GIS data. The GIS Associate will join a collaboration of experienced planners, landscape architects, geospatial professionals, and project managers dedicated to having a positive impact through effective planning. The ideal candidate will be driven, intellectually curious, committed to excellence and demonstrate a desire to make a difference in the communities we serve.
The GIS Specialist will support the project team and project manager on multi-disciplinary planning projects and will be responsible for utilizing Geographic Information System techniques to provide a better understanding of certain variables in a given geographic location for Federal, State, and Local Government Clients, as well as Private Sector Clients.
Responsibilities will include:
- Utilizing GIS software as tool for developing solutions to complex planning problems
- Extracting data from GIS software and using varying analysis methods to arrive at results
- Providing maps and data sets using GIS software and related equipment to clients to supplement analysis
- Gathering, analyzing, and integrating spatial data and determining how best the information can be displayed using GIS
- Compiling geographic data from a variety of sources including censuses, field observation, satellite imagery, aerial photographs, and existing maps
- Analyzing spatial data for geographic statistics to incorporate into documents and reports
- Supporting urban design projects, master plans, and revitalization projects of varying sizes and complexities in diverse communities
- Designing and updating databases, applying additional knowledge of spatial feature representations
- Converting data from one coordinate system and vertical datum to another
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, geography, science, engineering, planning, mathematics or government or related discipline.
- 5+ years of experience with geographic concepts and/or GIS software and AutoCAD
- Experience in CADD (MicroStation or AutoCAD) technologies with an emphasis on floodplain mapping
- The candidate must possess strong analytical skills
- Strong listening, writing and verbal communication skills
- Proven work history, strong work ethic and team-player attitude
- Self-starter and able to manage multiple tasks and adjust to changing priorities
- Strong interpersonal, problem solving, organizational and multi-tasking skills
MICHAEL BAKER INTERNATIONAL EEO STATEMENT
Michael Baker International is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Michael Baker International provides equal employment opportunity for all persons, in all facets of employment. Michael Baker International maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply for any open position for which they feel they are qualified and all will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status or any other legally protected status.
EEO is the Law. Applicants to and employees of Michael Baker International are protected under Federal law from discrimination.