Applications Accepted From: All Persons Interested
Division: Environmental Health
Section: Pool Program
Workdays/ Hours: M-F, 8 a.m.- 5 p.m.
*Subject to change*
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
The Houston Health Department is seeking a qualified candidate for the position of Environmental Investigator III to perform the following duties:
- Inspects aquatic facilities for compliance regarding commercial swimming pools and spas. Facilities include but are not limited to hotels, apartments, townhomes, condominiums, schools, etc.
- Works independently and provides guidance in the field to Environmental Investigator I and II, when applicable. Cross trains in Food, EMS, or other programs based on the Bureau's needs. Assist with training new employees.
- Investigates commercial and residential complaints concerning improperly maintained swimming pools/spas.
- Reviews and regulates all new commercial swimming pool/spa constructions to ensure compliance with State Design Standards for public pools/spas.
- Presents at public outreach and other community based events as it relates to the program.
- Issues violations and citations to operators for non-compliance of local ordinances, state and federal codes.
- May appear in court to testify regarding violations; provides testimony in enforcement hearings and/or drowning cases.
There are occasional exposures to significant levels of heat, cold, moisture and air pollution. The position may involve infrequent exposure to chemical substances and physical trauma of a minor nature such as cuts, bruises and minor burns. The position routinely requires lifting of moderately heavy items, such as typewriters or records boxes (up to 40 pounds) and/or very long periods of walking on rough surfaces on a routine basis.