Applications accepted from: ALL PERSONS INTERESTED
Job Classification: EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT SPECIALIST II (PLANNING) (PARTIALLY GRANT FUNDED)
Posting Number: 27087
Department: Houston Emergency Center
Division: Office of Emergency Management
Workdays & Hours: M-F 7:00am - 4:00pm*
* Subject to change
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
The Office of Emergency Management (OEM) seeks an Emergency Management Specialist II (Planning) to primarily develop emergency preparedness plans and provide oversight to preparedness, response, recovery, and mitigation program activities. Manage plans from concept to completion, drafts of plans and procedures, training on the use of the, collecting and analyzing data, and plan development.
The ideal candidate must be an enthusiastic, creative self-starter who is detail-oriented, organized and possess strong interpersonal skills necessary to effectively work with contractors, staff and the public. Must meet deadlines. In addition, the successful candidate must be ready to work in a fast-paced environment, have attention to detail and a strong desire to produce above-average quality communications.
This position will:
- Develop, coordinate, facilitate, and organize citywide comprehensive emergency planning activities with city departments, private industry, educational institutions, governmental agencies, community partners, etc.
- Will drive to develop, coordinate, facilitate, and organize continuity of operations planning activities with City departments.
- Provide planning and technical assistance to organizations, governmental agencies, the general public, private industry and other City departments.
- Serve as liaison to a broad range of committees and organizations.
- Research and formulate recommendations to specific committees, groups and organizations.
- Review plans and procedures for compliance with specific guidance, ordinances, or regulations.
- Performs other special projects or related work as directed.
The selected candidate must be able to respond from residence to the Houston Emergency Operations Center within 60 minutes. Will serve as an on-call OEM Duty Officer assigned to a 24-hour shift on a rotating basis and perform assigned duties during Emergency Operations Center (EOC) activations. The selected candidate must be willing and available to work all shifts, including rotation, weekends and holidays. This position also requires passing a criminal background check, and obtain and maintain federally mandated security clearances where required.
Working Conditions and Complexity
This position is physically comfortable; the individual has discretion about walking standing, etc. This position will involve being available by pager and cellular phone. Work consists of standard procedures and tasks where analytic ability is required in following guidelines, policies and precedents.