Applications accepted from: ALL PERSONS INTERESTED
Posting Number: # 26362
Division: Office Of Complete Communities
Reporting Location: City Hall – 901 BAGBY
Workdays & Hours: Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.* *Subject to Change
ABOUT MAYOR’S OFFICE OF COMPLETE COMMUNITIES
Mayor Sylvester Turner launched Complete Communities in April 2017 as his signature initiative – a collaborative and transformative citywide effort to revitalize Houston’s most under-resourced and underserved neighborhoods. The mission of the initiative is to create a more equitable and prosperous city for all Houstonians by working with local stakeholders and cross-sector partners to facilitate and promote innovative projects and programs that address the needs and improve access to services for residents and business in the 10 neighborhoods designated by Mayor Turner as Complete Communities.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES / ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
The City of Houston is seeking a well-qualified candidate to work within the Mayor’s Office of Complete Communities (MOCC) as the Be Well Communities Administrative Specialist.
Be Well Communities™ is the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center's place-based approach to cancer prevention and control. As an initiative of the Cancer Prevention & Control Platform within the Moon Shots Program, Be Well Communities mobilizes communities to promote wellness and stop cancer before it starts. Be Well Communities unites individuals, schools, workplaces, government agencies, health care providers and policymakers to plan and carry out sustainable, community-led solutions that will make positive, long-lasting changes in people's lives.
The Be Well Communities (BWC) initiative aligns with the Complete Communities objectives and has the potential to accelerate and advance community-based and -led healthy living efforts in Acres Home. By providing initiative management support, the MOCC helps to align the work of the two initiatives to help empower Acres Home residents to make healthy lifestyle choices with the goal of improving their health, reducing their risk for cancer, and extending their life expectancies.
The Be Well Communities Administrative Specialist position will provide professional analytical, administrative and management system support to the Mayor’s Office of Complete Communities. The administrative specialist also functions as a liaison with the City of Houston departments to analyze, document, and implement data analysis. The Administrative Specialist will be a subject matter expert of the MOCC workflow management system and similar data collection and analytics systems to develop reports, special documents or publications as assigned.
Responsibilities include but are not be limited to the following:
- Works directly with the MOCC Director and staff to define, develop and implement data analysis solutions
- Provides consulting, instruction, direction, and technical assistance to COH departments as required for work-flow management system data analysis and reporting development.
- Provides guidance to division staff in various activities necessary to attain operational goals.
- Prepares and analyzes the initiative’s and division’s annual budget and budget revisions. Manages expenditures and monitors line item balances.
- Collects key information, updates, including milestones, metrics, budgets, and funding status from the Be Well Steering Committee.
- Responds to written and telephone inquiries, requests, and complaints from the general public.
- Conducts studies of department organization and operation, coordinates the preparation of reports on findings, and recommends solutions.
- Assists as needed in producing public information activities, such as preparing news releases, brochures, and power point presentations.
- Performs other duties as delegated by the division head, including handling issues and information of a highly sensitive nature.
- Dynamic, committed individual with strong interpersonal skills
- Strong skills in strategic planning, program development, negotiations, and written communications.
- Strategic thinking, with thoughtful, thorough, and detailed follow through.
- Systems development and tracking.
- Comfortable with taking initiative; effective, collaborative worker; able to retain focus while multitasking.
- Ability to function effectively within protocols and challenges of operating within a high-profile local government program.
- Attention to detail and production of quality work, along with ability to work quickly and under pressure.
- Experience with large datasets and data management preferred.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point)
This position is physically comfortable; the individual has discretion about walking, standing, etc. There are no major sources of discomfort in a normal office environment.