Applications Accepted from: All Persons Interested
Department: Houston Public Library
Division: Mayor's Office of Adult Literacy (MOAL)
Reporting Location: 500 McKinney
Workdays & Hours: 8 am - 8 pm, Monday - Sunday*
* Subject to change
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
The Houston Public Library (HPL) is a forward-thinking library organization, situated in the nation’s fourth largest city serving a diverse population of 2.2 million people. Houston Public’s libraries are trusted community and cultural centers that serve a highly diverse populace. At HPL, we understand that diversity in experiences, perspectives, knowledge, and ideas fuels creativity, broadens knowledge, and helps drive success.
The Mayor’s Office for Adult Literacy (MOAL) is seeking an Administrative Assistant (Executive Level) to perform varied professional administrative functions in the advancement and implementation of MOAL’s mission to advocate for adult literacy learners and providers with a vision to improve access to quality education to all adults in Houston.
- Supports the administrative functions of the Mayor’s Office for Adult Literacy in the achievement of organizational goals. Reports to MOAL’s Director and receives regular instruction and guidance from the Offices Project Manager.
- Organizes and maintains files in print and electronic formats.
- Coordinates calendar, activities, and special events; schedules meetings.
- Supports project implementation, tracking and documentation as appropriate.
- Manages the Office’s social media presence including the designs, scheduling, and oversight of social media posts and campaigns across diverse platforms.
- Prepares, edits and revises correspondence and other documents on various departmental matters.
- Orders and tracks supply orders for the Office.
- May represent the Office at internal and external meetings.
- Coordinate with highly dynamic teams and leadership of adult literacy stakeholders in the achievement of Office’s goals and objectives.
- Be able to work occasional evenings and weekends (Saturday/Sundays) as schedule requires.
- Responds to written and telephone inquiries, requests and complaints from literacy providers and other stakeholders.
- Performs other duties as delegated by the MOAL Director or Library Administration including handling issues and information of a highly sensitive nature.
Applicants are encouraged to submit a Cover Letter and Resume when applying.
There are no major sources of discomfort, i.e., essentially normal office environment with acceptable lighting, temperature and air conditions.