Come join our team! The successful candidate will have strong drive and knowledge of bookkeeping and accounting principles. The Accounting Technician will be responsible for a variety of routine and some nonroutine clerical / accounting functions associated with NextEra’s upstream assets. Candidates with general accounting experience in the Oil and Gas industry and/or Property Accounting and proficiency with SAP accounting systems preferred.
- Possess a good understanding of computer systems and be proficient in the use of job-specific computer systems (SAP, P2/Excalibur, Business Objects, etc.)
- Good communication skills, oral and written, good record keeping and organization skills
- Assist in special projects and analysis under the direction of exempt personnel or in support of the Project Controllers.
- Work closely with Upstream accounting personnel to ensure timely and accurate execution of accounting responsibilities
- Ensure SOx compliance with all processes impacting the assigned projects and provide timely responses to auditor requests
- Build and maintain a strong working relationship with the corporate accounting functions.
- The ideal candidate will possess the following performance attributes and competencies:
Driven – committed to career development through personal improvement
Problem solver - proactive thinker with practical solutions, analytical, and orientation to be tightly linked to business strategies and financial priorities
- Professional skills – strong interpersonal skills, builds and nurtures cross functional teams and relationships both locally and across the greater organization, respects others, is tactfully assertive, has a bias for action, and follows through to completion
- Technical skills – experience researching, interpreting and applying accounting rules and policies, specifically in the Oil and Gas industry
- Process & project management – strong planning and organizational skills
- Integrity – strong ethic to comply with legal, regulatory, and company rules and policies
Associate or Bachelors Degree in Accounting is preferred; High School / GED required
Employees in this job apply some advanced skills to perform a variety of routine and some non-routine clerical and accounting functions in accordance with standard procedures in one or more of the following areas: general accounting, project accounting, tax accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable or related financial area. Individuals in this role may reconcile bank accounts, post information and balances in general or subsidiary ledgers, process payments and compile segments of monthly closings, annual reports, etc. either manually or via SAP. Employees in this role may adapt procedures, processes, tools, equipment and techniques to meet the more complex requirements of the position and may assist in orienting and training lower level employees.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
Under direct supervision:
• Contacts other departments and/or outside agencies to resolve problems
• Processes accounts payable and accounts receivable and sets up and maintains vendors for multiple companies
• Audits invoices entered at remote locations for completeness and accuracy, corrects errors in accordance with procedure
• Manages electronic workflow, monitors and resolves open invoice items, prepares and processes domestic and foreign wire transfers
• Creates and maintains vendor data to include IRS 1099 reporting requirements
• Interacts with all levels of employees as needed to perform responsibilities
• Works on special projects as requested
• Applies advance bookkeeping practices for project accounting
• Performs other job-related duties as assigned
• Experience:3+ years
• Typing Skills
• Telephone Skills
• Report/Presentation Preparation
Employee Group: Non Exempt
Employee Type: Full Time
Job Category: Finance, Accounting & Business Analytics
Organization: NextEra Project Mgmt
Relocation Provided: No
Where permitted by applicable law, NextEra Energy requires all employees and new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccination on or before the first day of employment.
NextEra Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, age, national origin, religion, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetics, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace.
NextEra Energy provides reasonable accommodation in its application and selection process for qualified individuals, including accommodations related to compliance with conditional job offer requirements, consistent with federal, state, and local laws. Supporting medical or religious documentation will be required where applicable and permitted by applicable law. To request a reasonable accommodation, please send an e-mail to [Click Here to Email Your Resumé], providing your name, telephone number and the best time for us to reach you. Alternatively, you may call 1-844-694-4748. Please do not use this line to inquire about your application status.
NextEra Energy will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
NextEra Energy does not accept any unsolicited resumes or referrals from any third-party recruiting firms or agencies. Please see our policy for more information.
Nearest Major Market: Houston
Gas, Gas Technician, Energy