Work Shift: PRN
Work Week: M - F
Houston Methodist Specialty Physician Group - As one of the nation’s leading hospitals and academic medical centers Houston Methodist has brought together some of the nation’s leading experts in multiple specialties to serve our patients. As part of Houston Methodist Specialty Physician Group (HMSPG), these specialists not only provide excellent clinical care, but are on the forefront of research, developing leading-edge technologies and treatments, and teaching the medical pioneers of tomorrow. This combination of clinical service, research and academics ensures patients have access to the latest in treatments and technologies while providing the best in comprehensive patient care. Established as a non-profit corporation and certified by the Texas State Board of Medical Examiners, HMSPG enables physicians to maintain autonomy with respect to their clinical practice while growing their practice within an academic environment.
THIS IS A PRN POSITION
At Houston Methodist, the Vaccinator position is responsible for administration of a vaccine to already consented and assessed individuals as well as assess the client¿s readiness for vaccination. This position will raise any concerns and ensure consent and clinical assessment has already taken place. The Vaccinator position checks vaccine before administration and report any concerns i.e. about the syringe/needle/dose to the registered nurse supervisor. This position will cross-check that vaccine batch numbers are recorded under the correct client, disposing of syringes and sharps as per the clinical waste policy. The Vaccinator position takes on accountability for administration of the vaccine under the national protocol, once drawn up and clinical assessment carried out including issuing of the vaccine card to client and reminder of second dose if appropriate.
PATIENT AGE GROUP(S) AND POPULATION(S) SERVED
Refer to departmental "Scope of Service" and "Provision of Care" plans, as applicable, for description of primary age groups and populations served by this job for the respective HM entity.
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
o Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
- INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
- COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
- ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
- RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
- EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
o Focuses on patient/customer safety
o Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
o Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
o Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
o Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 20%
1. Receives and greets patients, visitors, vendors and employees, in a professional and courteous manner. Communication is clear and professional. (EF)
2. Promotes a positive work environment with the interprofessional care team. Participates in teamwork by responding positively to requests for assistance. Works well with others to make contributions to the work effort as a whole and facilitates problem resolution. (EF)
3. Interacts with peers, staff, clinical supervisors and physicians in a supportive and respectful manner. Encourages open communication to achieve mutual understanding. Collaborates with all members of the interprofessional team by actively communicating and reporting pertinent patient care information in a clear and timely manner. (EF)
SERVICE - 30%
1. Provides care to patients visiting the vaccination clinic according to clinic leadership procedures, using cultural diversity and inclusion principles. Seeks guidance and validation of knowledge base, skill level and decision making as necessary, especially in areas of question, from preceptor and assigned licensed personnel. (EF)
2. Communicates with patient, obtains and documents and preforms screening review, (as appropriate). Documents, in patient¿s electronic medical record (EMR). (EF)
3. Assists with end of shift procedures/duties, cleaning of vaccination station (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 30%
1. Wears appropriate level of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) during all interactions. Adheres to policies/procedures as outlined in protocols for individuals that present with temperature or specific symptoms. (EF)
2. Follows hourly or, as needed, cleaning protocols for work area to include, tables, chairs, equipment, etc. Prepares vaccination station. Assists with maintaining equipment and supplies. (EF)
3. Reports observations, conditions and problems of patients to the clinical lead nurse. Provides for the privacy of patients and families, keeping the safety of the patient in mind. (EF)
FINANCE - 10%
1. Uses resources efficiently; does not waste supplies. Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize vaccinating patients quickly and safely. Utilizes time efficiently and helps other team members. (EF)
2. Uses resources efficiently; does not waste supplies. Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize daily tasks, minimizing incidental overtime. Utilizes time between heavy workloads efficiently and helps other team members. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 10%
1. Identifies and assumes responsibility of own learning needs and seeks continuing education opportunities to meet those needs. Completes and updates My Development plan on an on-going basis. Ensures own career discussions occur with appropriate management. (EF)
2. Offers suggestions to improve customer service and experience through participation in performance improvement projects and activities. Follows up on action items to ensure completion of assignments. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
o High School diploma or equivalent education (examples include: GED, verification of homeschool equivalency, partial or full completion of post-secondary education, etc.)
o Two years medical assistant experience in a clinic/outpatient setting or Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) or Paramedic
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
o Medical Assistant Certification through an approved credentialing certification agency within one year of employment, i.e. American Association of Medical Assistant or American Medical Technologists, or Emergency Medical Technician or licensed Paramedic
o American Heart Association BLS
o Phlebotomy certification preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
o Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
o Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
o Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
o Ability to consistently delivers excellent customer service
o Demonstrates a strong commitment to practice all precautionary protocols set in place by facilities, CDC recommendations and government regulations along with social distancing guidelines, as appropriate
o Works well in a team environment, as well as independently, with minimal supervision
o Ability to prioritize frequently, quickly shift tasks, and adapt to a rapidly changing environment
o Ability to communicate effectively and escalate utilizing problem solving and decision making skills
o Builds relationships with supporting departments, i.e. Guest Relations, Security, Human Resources, Clinical Operations
o Possesses campus knowledge to support providing direction to patients, visitors, family members and vendors entering facility
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.