Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that's improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There's no room for error. Join us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
Responsible, in part, as a member of a team of medical directors, for the overall quality, effectiveness, and coordination of the medical review services provided through OrthoNet. Performs Utilization Management reviews and directs/coordinates aspects of the utilization review staff activities, and participates in the Quality Improvement programs for the company.
The Medical Director also provides/assists in the direction and oversight in the development and implementation of policies, procedures and clinical criteria for all medical programs and services. S/he may serve as a liaison between OrthoNet, physicians, and other medical service providers in selected situations.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Performs utilization management reviews
- Works with OrthoNet clinical staff to coordinate all the necessary UM processes and provides feedback to OrthoNet staff who do portions of the UM reviews
- Participation in Training regarding URAC, NCQA, Regulatory Compliance, Confidentiality, Conflict of Interest, HIPAA, and department specific training as applicable
- Discusses cases and clinical situations with treating providers telephonically during scheduled hours
- Participates in periodic clinical conferences / calls and in ongoing internal performance consistency reviews
- Composes, if needed, patient situation specific, clinical summaries and rationales for medical necessity decisions
- Is available for occasional, periodic weekend and holiday as needed telephonic and remote computer expedited clinical decisions
- Supports compliance with regulatory agency standards and requirements (e.g., CMS, NCQA, URAC, state / federal and third party payers)
- Ability to travel to scheduled company meetings and activities in US
- Ability to assist in marketing presentations to clients and ongoing relationship management activities with existing clients if requested to do so
- Provide Clinical support for staff that conduct initial reviews
- Good understanding of professional performance measurement and related possible discussions/interventions with selected providers/groups/organizations
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Current, active and fully unrestricted Medical license
- 5+ years of clinical experience in orthopedic spine surgery and/or musculoskeletal medicine
- MS Office (MS Word, Email, Excel, and Power Point)
- Excellent computer skills and ability to learn new systems and software
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work over the telephone with other colleagues including physicians, nurses, PTs, OTs and other similar personnel
- If you need to enter a work site for any reason, you will be required to screen for symptoms using the ProtectWell mobile app, Interactive Voice Response (i.e., entering your symptoms via phone system) or similar UnitedHealth Group-approved symptom screener. When in a UnitedHealth Group building, employees are required to wear a mask in common areas. In addition, employees must comply with any state and local masking orders
- ABMS or other nationally-recognized further specialized certifications are a plus
- Experience in managed care UM activities
- Must possess leadership skills in working with other physicians, knowledge of the overall medical community and the local / regional managed care environments
- Experience with integration of clinical and financial data, development of utilization and performance reporting tools, and communication of performance data to physicians and other health care providers
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Colorado Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $254,600 to $295,200. The range and pay mix of base and bonus is variable based upon experience and metric achievement. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. As of the date of this posting, In addition to your salary, UHG offers the following benefits for this position, subject to applicable eligibility requirements: Health, dental, and vision plans; wellness program; flexible spending accounts; paid parking or public transportation costs; 401(k) retirement plan; employee stock purchase plan; life insurance, short-term disability insurance, and long-term disability insurance; business travel accident insurance; Employee Assistance Program; PTO; and employee-paid critical illness and accident insurance.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: Medical Director, Orthopedic, Surgery, Telecommute, Nationwide, New York, Atlanta, Tampa, Boston, Las Vegas, Medical License, Experience, Microsoft, Leadership, Interpersonal