The Power Line Engineer is the individual assigned as the primary discipline design engineer creating the technical specifications, calculations, and drawings in support of a power line project or projects. Engineer must be technically capable to learn through self-study and use specialty software programs to facilitate the design. The engineer will monitor the discipline specific products ensuring they are completed on schedule and within budget in accordance with the following:
- Applicable federal, state, regional, and local laws and requirements, specifically state administrative codes, NESC, NES, and RUS
- Client Standards and specifications
- Mott MacDonald’s Project Procedures.
- Working with Engineering Project Engineers, Project Managers, and Supervisor to design the specific project products; calculations, specifications, drawings, and reports.
- Ensuring that the Engineering work and Engineering support of Mott MacDonald is performed in a technically sound manner and completed in accordance with the Engineering Project Procedures and specific Contract requirements.
- Responsible for the Quality and Compliance of deliverables.
- Reviewing deliverables to ensure they are consistent, sound and compliant
- Engineering/technical skills in the identification, analysis, and resolution of problems.
- Effective planning, organizing, estimating, scheduling, and monitoring of personal work activities
- Thorough and accurate technical reports, correspondence, documentation, calculations, and sketches.
- Continuous improvement of job-related, engineering, technical and professional knowledge, skills, and performance.
- Accurate records and files.
- Determining the scope of and level of effort required for the Project Design.
- Verifying that the Design Reviews have been performed and that Reviewer comments or issues raised are closed.
Specific technical or other skills required:
- P.E. Not Required, however the candidate must be authorized and able to apply and obtain a PE License within two years. Passing score on the EIT exam is preferred
- BS in Electrical Engineering preferred, other Engineering disciplines considered
- 3+ years of industry experience
- Background in power system design for electrical alternating current (AC) underground and overhead lines.
- Power system design experience in High Voltage and Extra High Voltage, direct current (DC) overhead and underground lines
- Renewables experience strongly desired.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
Software or specialized equipment skills:
- Experience with some technical applications such as: CDEGS, PLS CADD; CymCAPP; ETAP; AutoCAD; Bentley; etc.
- Excel, Word and Microsoft office suite
- This position can be based in any of our energy offices including: Westwood, Charlotte, Plymouth, Raleigh and Austin.
Here at Mott MacDonald, we are experts in engineering, management, and development services supporting multisector project work in over 150 countries. One of the largest employee-owned companies in the world, we pride ourselves in our ability to deliver exceptional outcomes through the connected thinking of our 16,000+ talented consultants. Sustainability and innovation are at the heart of all of our sectors which, in North America include Advisory, Built Environment, Energy, Transportation, and Water.
We put equality, diversity and inclusion at the heart of our organization, seeking to promote fair employment procedures and practices to ensure equal opportunities for all. We value the diversity of our staff and are committed to creating an inclusive work environment where everyone has the chance to contribute.
Equal employment opportunity is the law. English version, Spanish version, Chinese version.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, creed, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship status or disability status.