Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemical companies with about 84,000 employees across more than 70 countries. We aim to meet the world’s growing need for more and cleaner energy solutions in ways that are economically, environmentally and socially responsible. We have expertise in exploration, production, refining and marketing of oil and natural gas, and the manufacturing and marketing of chemicals. As a global energy company operating in a challenging world, we set high standards of performance and ethical behaviors. We are judged by how we act and how we live up to our core values of honesty, integrity and respect for people. Our Business Principles are based on these. They promote trust, openness, teamwork and professionalism, as well as pride in what we do and how we conduct business. Building on our core values, we aspire to sustain a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone feels respected and valued, from our employees to our customers and partners. A diverse workforce and an inclusive work environment are vital to our success, leading to greater innovation and better energy solutions.
Where you fit in
The digital transformation strategy of Shell requires an increasingly flexible, agile and secure IT environment in order to enable best use of data, cloud services, personalization of user experience and connectivity of devices. Keeping our business goals and user experience in the forefront, Shell IT has taken the decision to insource or directly procure a number of connectivity services. By taking greater control over key aspects of connectivity we can provide our users with better user experience, speed and agility, while maintaining operational effectiveness and efficiency. As a result, we are building a partially insourced and multi-vendor ecosystem for our connectivity products and services and will be developing new skills and capabilities. Come join us on this exciting and ambitious journey.
What is the role
You will be part of the Enterprise Technology Services and Operations organization in Shell IT whose mission is to provide secure and reliable enterprise wide IT services for Shell globally. This role is focused on delivery of Connectivity services which includes local and wide area networks, network security, voice services and associated technology.
This position plays a critical role in ensuring ETSOM meets operational performance expectations by;
- Providing technical expertise supporting support groups to resolve complex issues and incidents.
- Making proactive/predictive and preemptive interventions including the use of data and analytics.
- Providing strong steer for future tooling requirements to embrace Automation using Data & Analytics.
- Developing and sustaining the required technical skills.
- To ensure relevant ITIL processes are effective across internal and external organizational boundaries.
- Supports Traffic Engineering manager and ETSOM staff in developing their technical knowledge in relevant services.
- Develop and maintain technical skills and working relationships within Shell and externally such that the operational performance of the Connectivity scope is secure, reliable and meets performance objectives.
- Ensure sustainable resolutions of all major operational problems in the Connectivity services scope.
- Act as the Connectivity SOMs ‘technical expert’ when liaising with architects and other SMEs.
- Member of the Connectivity extended Leadership Team and as such shares in a number of technical activities (supporting onboarding).
- Participate in a broad range of DRBs/Steering Teams for New Service Developments and Products.
- Support Vendor engagements to ensure that technical offerings and solutions are fit for operational support.
- Portfolio complexity: A number of global suppliers are active in the portfolio including AT&T, BT, Vodafone, T-Mobile, various internet service providers globally and Cisco.
The Traffic Engineer will manage ‘level 3’ activities for all Enterprise Services for the complete Connectivity portfolio globally. The incumbent directly interfaces with both supplier and business IT stakeholders across all lines of business. These services are critical in providing the foundation layer for all IT in Shell. As The internet becomes more prevalent the incumbent should have an extensive knowledge of Internet technologies and protocols.
You will manage activities with some autonomy driven by operational nature and real time criticality of the role. Scope covers the complete Connectivity estate (60,000 devices in 70 countries providing 25 different IT services). The operational nature of the role will require out of hours working, sometimes unplanned and oncall.
What we need from you
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
- Minimum eight (8) years of relevant IT experience with leadership experience.
- Bachelor's Degree related to Information Technology or equivalent work experience..
- Current certifications in networking technology e.g. CCNP or equivalent vendor certifications.
- Ability to solve technical operational issues in data and voice networking based on significant knowledge and hands on experience e.g.
- LAN/WAN/WLAN/Internet topology, Design and Implementation
- Routing and switching protocols - OSPF, BGP etc
- Policy based routing, NAT/PAT, VLAN, SDLAN
- Load balancing and security products firewall, proxy, zScaler, intrusion protection
- Network Performance tuning
- Voice technologies e.g. IPT, call centres, SIP
- Ability to work in a team with subject matter experts in other areas e.g. hosting, clients using a good technical understanding of their areas.
- Proven ability to exploit data and analytics to ensure delivery of secure and reliable services.
- Proven and well-developed man management and leadership skills, motivating and developing an operational team to deliver.
- Experience of working as a customer with 3rd parties.
- Strong communication and stakeholder management skills.
- Proven experience in managing compliance.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date. Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world. The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand. Shell participates in E-Verify. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, citizenship, genetic information or other protected status under federal, state or local laws. Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability.