Third Officer -volunteer position
Port of Dakar, Senegal, West Africa
Assist the Chief Officer in the daily supervision of the Deck Department, in accordance with the Master's standing and special orders.
Accepting applications. apply.mercyships.org
The maritime volunteers onboard our ships are a vital part to making it possible to bring hope and healing to the people of Africa. If you want to use your skills to make a positive change in the lives of others, one of our ships could be your next great adventure!
The Third Officer volunteer position, part of the Deck department, will be located on the Africa Mercy and Global Mercy, the world's largest non-governmental hospital ships. The preferred minimum commitment for this role is two years, though shorter commitments may also be considered. We recommend all interested applicants to submit an application six months in advance of your target service date. Commitments longer than 12 months require successful completion of Mercy Ships On Boarding Program.
Are you interested in coming with your family? This position may qualify for a family cabin on board! Please refer to the Family FAQs for more information.
- Certificate of Competency in accordance with STCW A-II/1
unlimited tonnage and area
no limitations on ECDIS or ARPA
recognized by Malta
- Valid Security Awareness certificate in accordance with STCW A-VI/6
- Valid Crowd Management certificate in accordance with STCW A-V/2-1
- Valid Basic Training certificate in accordance with STCW A-VI/1
- Valid Proficiency in Survival Craft and Rescue Boats certificate in accordance with STCW A-VI/2
- Valid Advanced Fire Fighting certificate in accordance with STCW A-VI/3
- Valid Medical First Aid certificate in accordance with STCW A-VI/4-1
- Valid ARPA certificate
- Valid GMDSS Operator's license
- Successful completion of ECDIS Type Specific - Manta Digital (obtained on board)
- Ability to speak and understand English effectively
**Current Field Service location is Port of Dakar, Senegal, West Africa. Minimum duration to serve on board is three months, there is no maximum. *subject to special case and vessel needs*
Shipyard Service estimated to start June 2020. Minimum duration to serve on board is two weeks, there is no maximum.**
Questions about this information? Send us an email! Our technical recruiter would love to answer any questions you may have. You can reach us at [Click Here to Email Your Resumé]