LyondellBasell is staffing for an Process Technology Internship for the Channelview, TX Manufacturing Complex, located 18 miles from downtown Houston. Our 4,000-acre Channelview Complex consists of two olefin units at the north side facility that manufacture ethylene, propylene, butadiene and benzene. The south side facility uses many of these products to produce propylene oxide, styrene monomer and other derivatives.
Operations Technician responsibilities include monitoring and maintaining day-to-day unit operations, coordinating daily minor maintenance repairs, and applying statistical tools to enhance product quality. Technicians also have responsibility for start-up, shutdown, isolation, and decontamination of plant equipment and for understanding and complying with administration of company policy and guidelines. Operations Technicians maintain fitness-for-duty for all job responsibilities, which include, but are not limited to, lifting, working at heights, and climbing towers. Operations Technician Interns will support Operations Technicians while participating as contributing members of the operations team and will train in all Operations Technician responsibilities
Roles & Responsibilities
- Identify health, safety and environmental hazards
- Recognize, respond to, and report incidents and near-misses
- Practice emergency preparedness
- Learn the function and operation of process equipment and processes
- Monitor normal operating conditions
- Make rounds and assist in taking readings
- Witness the work permit system
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must possess a high school diploma or equivalent (e.g. GED)
- Must have ability to work 12-hour rotating shift work schedule
- Must be able to meet operations technician fitness-for-duty requirements
- Must possess or obtain a valid Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) card
- Must successfully pass pre-employment screening process
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States on a permanent basis without visa sponsorship (U.S. citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident)
Process Technology Associate's Degree
- Graduated with an Associate's degree in Process Technology within the last year, or currently enrolled in a Process Technology Associate's degree program with anticipated graduation by December 31, 2020
- Overall grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale
- Served in U.S. Armed Forces and received an honorable discharge within the last 5 years
Industrial Field Experience
- Minimum of one year of field work experience in the petrochemical industry or other industrial environment
Skills & Abilities
- Operational, safety, and environmental awareness
- Ability to learn and retain technical knowledge and mechanical skills
- High quality of work and attention to detail
- Strong teamwork and cooperation skills
- High personal initiative
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Ability to accept criticism and feedback
- Strong problem solving and decision-making skills
- Ability to build and maintain high morale
CompetenciesBuilds effective teamsCollaboratesCultivates innovationCustomer focusDemonstrates courageDrives resultsEnsures accountabilityInstills trust and exemplifies integrity
LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB) is one of the world's largest plastics, chemical and refining companies and a member of the S&P 500. LyondellBasell (www.lyondellbasell.com) manufactures products at 55 sites in 17 countries. LyondellBasell products and technologies are used to make items that improve the quality of life for people around the world including; packaging, electronics, automotive parts, home furnishings, construction materials and biofuels.
Must be at least 18 years of age and must be legally authorized to work in the United States (US) on a permanent basis without visa sponsorship.
LyondellBasell does not accept or retain unsolicited résumés or phone calls and/or respond to them or to any third party representing job seekers.
LyondellBasell is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected characteristics. The US EEO is the Law poster is available here.
Nearest Major Market: Houston