Responsible for overseeing the daily operations of the Transportation Operating facility. Provide coaching, feedback, and guidance for salary and union personnel. Monitor and track the efficient use of resources to provide dependable and reliable transit service to meet and exceed established goals. Performs duties in a safe, efficient manner and in compliance with all applicable rules and safety procedures.
Responsibilities and Specific Duties
- Promotes and emphasizes safe operations through round table meetings, safety outreach, and various site visits. Participates in Safety Blitzes conducted by Safety department.
- Coordinates additional, special training requirements and DDC with Safety or Training staff. Works with Training Director in ensuring that Operator training is completed.
- Works with METRO Police to promote Operator Safety.
- Works with a collaborative group to identify issues that affect the On-Time Performance (OTP) and develops an action plan to improve the reliability of the service.
- Recommends evaluation of new routes and/or changes to existing routes.
- Monitors and oversees the investigation of public comments for problem identification/root cause and recommendations for resolution. Develops an ongoing plan to reduce the amount of negative public comments.
- Develops and recommends new/revised methods and procedures designed to improve operations and minimize operating costs.
- Participates in the preparation and administration of the annual budget. Continually evaluates and adjusts budget drivers to improve efficiencies and to operate within budget.
- Monitors and evaluates Bus Operator’s performance and administers the required action in accordance with the established union contract and established policies, rules, and procedures. Works with Local 260 to resolve issues before the need arises on work related issues.
- Oversees the supervision and observation of new bus operators in their daily responsibilities.
- Responsible for disciplinary actions, grievances, hearings and arbitrations. May be requested to represent METRO at Texas Workforce Commission, and/ or Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (TWC/EEOC) hearings as deemed necessary.
- Responsible for pay issues; sick time, vacation, miscellaneous pay, on-the-job injuries and approves all time sheets.
- Responsible for providing transportation on all weekday Drug and Alcohol Random Checks.
- Assists maintenance in problem identification, resolutions, road call prevention and new bus equipment testing and Operator training on new equipment.
- Coordinates with Risk Management, Bus Operator depositions, or as a witness in court.
- Assists with Route and Vacation sign-ups.
- Works with other departments in preparation of Hurricane Season and other weather-related issues and recovery efforts.
- Works with Facilities Maintenance on building and grounds matters.
- Provides excellent customer service to METRO internal and external customers.
- Promotes safety awareness and follows safety procedures to reduce or eliminate accidents.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
High school diploma or GED is required. An Associate’s degree from an accredited college or university is preferred.
Years & Experience Required
Minimum eight (8) years progressive transit/transportation experience, to include four (4) years management/supervisory experience.
Knowledge & Skills Required
Knowledge of labor agreements and related procedures. General knowledge of Public Comment, Operator Time Keeping System. General knowledge of PC’s and related software. Strong human relations and communications (written/verbal) skills. Good decision making and organizational skills.
The Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County, Texas has a zero tolerance drug and alcohol policy for all employees. All internal and external applicants will be required to undergo drug testing before employment and will be subject to further drug and/or alcohol testing throughout their employment.
Further, employees who perform safety-sensitive functions will submit to drug and/or alcohol testing in accordance to the Department of Transportation (DOT) and the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) regulatory requirements.
We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, veteran status, genetic information or disability.