Responsible for overseeing the daily road operations of contracted fixed route bus, paratransit services and Micro Transit Services. Support and oversight also may include METRO’s fixed route bus service and Metrorail. Helps ensure safe, efficient, and reliable bus transportation services including daily service delivery, detours, special bus orders/events, and/or emergency shuttle services. Performs supervisory duties relative to the oversight of services including monitoring and evaluating contractors’ performance to ensure contract compliance with all applicable rules, policies and procedures. Performs duties in a safe, efficient manner and in compliance with all applicable rules and safety procedures.
Responsibilities and Specific Duties
- Responsible for overseeing METRO’s contracted fixed route bus, paratransit services, and Micro Transit Services to ensure METRO customers receive safe, reliable transportation and METRO receives services as contracted.
- Audits contractors’ training and safety classes for proper operating procedures, revenue collection procedures and quality customer service.
- Supervises, observes and checks vehicle schedules at designated points to ensure route and running time efficiency and service reliability.
- Conducts pull-outs and pull-ins at contractors’ facilities to ensure vehicles and operators follow contractual requirements and service standards.
- Conducts daily safety contacts with contract operators.
- Documents any safety or performance issues to assess liquidated damages as stated in the contract.
- Audits road conditions for detours, closures, construction, etc. and recommends alternate routes and service solutions to METRO’s Bus Control Center, as needed. Reports streets in need of repair to help minimize possible damage to METRO property and equipment.
- Makes recommendations for schedule/route revisions and for relocation/repair of bus shelters/stops and METRO signs to the appropriate METRO Department(s) for resolution.
- Interfaces with contractors, METRO staff, and various police and fire officials to ensure compliance with traffic safety laws and accident reporting procedures.
- Interfaces with METRO patrons and provides information and assistance to customers to ensure safe, courteous and efficient service. Assists in handling patron and public comments to ensure quality, courteous customer service.
- Prepares comprehensive reports pertaining to incidents, accidents, service conditions; notifying 311, Facility Maintenance or other public entities of road and passenger conditions.
- Promotes safety awareness and follows safety procedures in an effort to reduce or eliminate accidents.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
High school diploma or equivalent
Years & Experience Required
Minimum three (3) years’ experience in transit services to include Bus Operator and Relief Street Supervisor experience; to include one (1) year supervisory experience. Experience with transit services and contracts including direct interaction with the public is preferred.
Knowledge & Skills Required
Basic computer skills with experience in Microsoft office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint). Must have good analytical skills and ability to exercise sound judgment during high pressure situations. Must have good communications skills (written and verbal) and be able to concisely communicate directions and instructions in a team coordinated effort. A valid Texas driver’s license is required and must meet METRO’s requirements regarding motor vehicle records.
The Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County, Texas has a zero tolerance drug and alcohol policy for all employees. All internal and external applicants will be required to undergo drug testing before employment and will be subject to further drug and/or alcohol testing throughout their employment.
Further, employees who perform safety-sensitive functions will submit to drug and/or alcohol testing in accordance to the Department of Transportation (DOT) and the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) regulatory requirements.
We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, veteran status, genetic information or disability.