Supervises a staff of recruiters and administrative/support staff as assigned. Oversees METRO’s recruitment and hiring process. Implements and oversees the recruitment processes and strategies; from advertising to negotiating employment offers. Ensures employment practices comply with federal, state and local regulations. Assists the Director in the administration of overall employment and staffing programs. Performs duties in a safe, efficient manner and in compliance with all applicable rules and safety procedures.
Responsibilities and Specific Duties
- Supervises recruitment activities to ensure the recruitment process is conducted efficiently and in accordance with METRO’s policies and standards. This includes advertising, selection of qualified candidates, interviewing, testing, evaluating background results, negotiating employment offers, offer letters and finalizing recruiting file.
- Provides supervision and direction and performs personnel administrative functions of direct report staff (e.g. training, supervising, work assignments, timesheets, performance evaluations, etc.) for maintaining necessary staffing goals, enhancing productivity of staff and ensuring necessary department outcomes are achieved.
- Evaluates and analyzes employment data for trends to improve hiring needs, recruiting activities and strategies.
- Responsible for various Staffing projects/tasks/initiatives and provides support of assigned projects from beginning to final approval.
- Develops and initiates recruitment/staffing efforts for all approved positions/vacancies exempt and non-exempt.
- Interviews current and prospective employees for specific job openings.
- Establishes hiring criteria and develops selection and recruiting competency profiles by analyzing job requirements with hiring managers.
- Advises all levels of hiring managers on current requisition procedures and recruitment/selection processes.
- Formulates strategic, cost-effective recruiting methods, such as identifying professional affiliations, niche internet sites, networking events, etc. which are specific to the recruiting needs of METRO.
- Works with the Staffing team to determine areas of focus and establish techniques to attract a diverse candidate pool and present qualified candidates to hiring managers.
- Develops and maintains reports and metrics that measure staffing efforts such as cost-per-hire, effectiveness of sourcing methods, time to hire/start, exit interviews, etc.
- Ensures compliance with employment law, safety procedures, METRO’s policies, guidelines and protocols.
- Participates in developing departmental goals and objectives.
- Develops, implements, and facilitates comprehensive training programs to achieve defined Human Resources and Staffing goals.
- Represents METRO Staffing to Houston area community job fairs, job outreach and other community outreach including “virtual” events.
- Assists with the career development of staff and establishes processes for employees to develop their career and advance within the organization.
- Responds to METRO constituents which includes: Public comments, employee complaints, applicant issues internal and external with the assistance of Director, H.R./Staffing and other Human Resources management.
- Responds to requests by government agencies and internal Legal department as required (i.e. Texas Workforce Commission). Represents the Authority at hearings as appropriate.
- Provides excellent customer service to METRO internal and external customers
- Promotes safety awareness and follows safety procedures to reduce or eliminate accidents.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
High school or GED required. Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources Management, Business Administration or related field is required.
Years & Experience Required
Minimum of five (5) years as an HR generalist with strong recruiting/staffing experience or a specialist in staffing/recruitment experience in a professional fast-paced environment; to include three (3) years of lead/supervisory/project management experience. Experience to include recruitment processes, applicant tracking systems, development of documents in support of recruitment and human resources initiatives. Ability to initiate, develop and implement recruitment strategies for a wide range of disciplines. Experience in a union environment preferred.
Knowledge & Skills Required
Strong current, relevant knowledge of the recruiting industry. General HR knowledge of ADA, FMLA, EEOC, FLSA, Title VII, Labor Agreements, etc. Proven leader with the ability to build strong client relationships, establish trust, communicate effectively and foster cultural change. Strong proficiency in Microsoft applications required; PowerPoint, Excel and Word. Excellent organizational skills are required. HR Certifications; SHRM S/CP or HRCI S/PHR certification preferred.
The Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County, Texas has a zero tolerance drug and alcohol policy for all employees. All internal and external applicants will be required to undergo drug testing before employment and will be subject to further drug and/or alcohol testing throughout their employment.
Further, employees who perform safety-sensitive functions will submit to drug and/or alcohol testing in accordance to the Department of Transportation (DOT) and the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) regulatory requirements.
We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, veteran status, genetic information or disability.