Founded in 1886, Buckeye Partners, L.P. has a proven track record of stability and success. We pride ourselves on the laser focus we apply to safely providing service and value to our customers, operating under a strong set of values, and empowering our employees to make decisions. We have a tenacious commitment to environmental responsibility and regulatory compliance in all that we do.
It is our internal culture that sets us apart from other companies. Our goal is to provide our employees with a greater span of responsibility, the ability to make decisions, and access to experts to help you build your skills and experiences. Each of our career tracks provides employees with the ability to innovate, and be a significant contributor from their first day on the job.
Buckeye Partners is currently seeking a Staff Accountant II with experience in public accounting or with a publicly traded organization, preferably in the Oil & Gas Industry, to join our team!
The Staff Accountant II role is responsible for supporting the accounting department, and their particular function, by preparing journal entries, account reconciliations, account analyses, supporting the monthly close process and participating in other general accounting projects as assigned.
- Account Reconciliations and Journal Entries. Prepare and record various monthly account reconciliations, analyze various general ledger accounts on a regular basis and prepare recurring and other journal entries to support the monthly close process.
- Performing monthly reporting and accounting close duties for function. Support the preparation of monthly and quarterly financial reporting packages for senior/lead accountants, accounting managers and other departments as necessary.
- Month-End Close. Supports the monthly close process by preparing various journal entries, performing analytics and assisting with journal entries by established deadlines for the function.
- Executing and following appropriate accounting principles, practices and procedures to ensure compliance with Sarbanes-Oxley, GAAP, IFRS, FERC and other applicable regulatory policies and standards.
- Processes and Procedures. Analysis of current processes to develop and implement improved efficiencies and analytics as deemed necessary.
- Monthly Analyses. Analyze various general ledger accounts on a regular basis.
- Cross-functional support. Participate in special projects and support other accounting functions as needed.
- Audit Support. Prepare supporting schedules for audit activities as assigned.
- Assist in the preparation of budgets as needed.
- Providing assistance with assimilating purchase acquisitions into company records.
- And other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor\u0027s degree in Accounting or Finance
- 2-3 years of experience in an Accounting or Finance role
- Travel requirements are limited in this role
Certificates & Licenses:
- None required
Other Skills, Attributes and Abilities:
- Works with a moderate level of autonomy with the ability to work independently on some basic accounting tasks. Performs assigned tasks and works under a moderate level of supervision to execute functional goals and objectives.
- Basic understanding of fundamental accounting principles, systems and processes with a basic functional knowledge.
- Low-level understanding of technical accounting concepts and procedures.
- Some ability to teach accounting basics applicable to their function to less experienced accounting professionals.
- Ability to work with some ambiguity on routine tasks with minimal to moderate complexity. May contribute to portions of reports and presentations for the function.
- Individual contributor role that does not typically supervise others.
- Basic understanding of business and functional area. Builds network of peers in various areas of the business to understand and support business operations. Continues to demonstrate initiative to learn how Buckeye operates and how functions / business units work together to support customer facing operations.
- Demonstrates solid communication skills. Ability to communicate and contribute within small group settings. Demonstrates the willingness to share opposing perspective with peers and the ability to do so while respecting the views of others. Listens and follows directions and challenges respectfully when appropriate.
- Moderate problem solving ability. Ability to solve basic problems within specific function.
- Exercises some discretion in approach to solutions but errors have limited impact.
- Teamwork inclination and ability to work effectively and efficiently among team.
- This position requires the ability to safely and successfully perform essential job functions consistent with ADA, FMLA and other federal, state and local standards, including meeting qualitative and or/quantitative productivity standards.
- This role requires the ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with the ADA, FMLA and other federal, state and local standards.
- This position requires compliance with all personnel policies.
Physical & Safety Requirements:
- The person in this position needs to occasionally move inside the office to access file cabinets, office equipment, etc.
- The employee is frequently required to effectively communicate with others.
To be successful in the Buckeye culture, our employees must Possess excellent communication skills, both written and verbal. You must be able to work independently. You must also be able to exercise tact, discretion, and professionalism when dealing with internal clients and external counterparties (customers, vendors, etc.), as well as when handling sensitive and confidential information.
Buckeye Partners wants to create and reward an organizational focus that stimulates the creative and entrepreneurial actions of our employees and results in innovative ways of reducing costs, generating revenues, improving productivity, or improving processes.
Buckeye Partners, L.P. is the logistical solutions partner of choice for the global energy business and one of the nation’s largest independent petroleum products pipeline transportation and terminalling service provider; our strength is to create centers of expertise around our products, technologies and client needs.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, or national origin. We are also an equal opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans. Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP on the following website: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm
This requisition is not eligible for the Employee Referral Program. Buckeye Partners, L.P. reserves the right to not pursue a referred candidate if the eventual employment of the referred candidate would constitute a conflict of interest with a customer or supplier and/or would be detrimental to the best interest of the Company.