Equal Opportunity Employer : Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects.
I. Job Summary
Serve as Waste Management in-house counsel supporting field operations, primarily in the Southern and Mid-West states. Legal support provided by this position will be focused primarily on moderate to complex commercial/business matters, although the position also will contribute to and interact with other staff as necessary on environmental and regulatory matters, health and safety, facility development and permitting, government and regulatory affairs, and real estate. The position will manage commercial and regulatory litigation matters including the management of outside counsel, as well as support additional corporate transactions.
The position is located in Houston and some travel may be required.
II. Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned.
- Provides proactive legal and practical business advice to internal Company management at the ‘Market Area’ or ‘District’ level;
- Assists in preparing, reviewing, and negotiating legal documents on the Company’s behalf, including a variety of contracts and bid documents, and assists management in representing the organization in legal disputes and transactions;
- Provides general legal support to Company sales force including contract preparation, review, and enforcement, and customer service and customer relations issues;
- Provides general legal support and advice to collection, disposal, recycling, and related field operations;
- Conducts risk assessment in connection with customer, vendor, operations, industry and/or business issues, and advises management on most appropriate response or action;
- Management of outside counsel activities as necessary including determining effective business and legal strategy to address litigation and/or other specific operations or Company needs;
- Interfaces with numerous departments and functions within the Company to work effectively and provide a high-level of service to our business partners.
III. Supervisory Responsibilities
None at this time, but may supervise a paralegal located in the same or different office
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
Juris Doctorate and eight or more years of previous legal experience, including as in-house counsel, law firm practice, or governmental.
B. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
Texas State Bar Licensure
C. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required
V. Work Environment
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Required to use motor coordination with finger dexterity (such as keyboarding, machine operation, etc) most of the workday;
- Required to exert physical effort in handling objects less than 30 pounds rarely;
- Required to be exposed to physical occupational risks (such as cuts, burns, exposure to toxic chemicals, etc) rarely;
- Required to be exposed to physical environment which involves dirt, odors, noise, weather extremes or similar elements rarely;
Normal setting for this job is : office setting.
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, Company match on 401K, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site.
If this sounds like the opportunity that you have been looking for, please click "Apply.”