Calpine Corporation is America's largest generator of electricity from natural gas and geothermal resources with operations in competitive power markets. Its fleet of 76 power plants in operation and one under construction represents nearly 26,000 megawatts of generation capacity. Through wholesale power operations and its retail businesses, Calpine serves customers in 22 states, Canada and Mexico. Its clean, efficient, modern and flexible fleet uses advanced technologies to generate power in a low-carbon and environmentally responsible manner.
The company was established on the premise that a strong commitment to the environment is inextricably linked to excellence in Apower generation and corporate responsibility. Since its founding in 1984, Calpine has led the power industry in its unwavering commitment to environmental stewardship. In addition, its renewable geothermal plants use steam generated deep below the earth's surface to produce clean, renewable electricity.
Job Summary (includes but is not limited to the following, other duties may be assigned)
Provides professional support within the government and regulatory affairs function. Typically involved in supporting general analysis of government and regulatory affairs activities and may be used in whole or in part in such areas as PAC compliance, analysis and administration.
Designs and plans for government outreach by providing analysis of emerging or existing regulatory and legislative public policy issues impacting Calpine and/or the energy industry. Gathers intelligence and assists in preparation of presentations, analysis, position papers, briefings, legislative testimony for pending legislative and regulatory actions, proposal support, etc.
Working with management, helps to develop Calpine/energy industry legislative and policy initiatives. Projects may include implementation of public policy activities, government and industry lobbying efforts, advocating government funding initiatives and identifying new opportunities favorably advancing Calpine's influence with the local, state and federal government. Responsible for some administrative duties and other duties as assigned.
* Makes decisions regarding own work, often in ambiguous situations; makes recommendations regarding own function/discipline.
* Solves operational problems and associated technical issues; modifies existing tools, techniques or processes.
* Works on problems of moderate complexity.
* Uses independent judgment within defined policies and practices. Interprets guidelines, select methods, techniques and analytical approach. Self-Management & Leadership
* Little instruction on day-to-day work, general instructions on new assignments.
* May be designated project or technical lead for an ongoing process or short-term project within own department. Comm. & Influence
* Information sharing - gives and receives information such as options, technical direction, instruction and reporting results.
* Bachelor's Degree or equivalent.
* Solid knowledge of energy policies and experience in policy research, development analysis.
* Experience with Energy sector, preferable power generation for a power generator; regulatory guidelines, ISO's, and related topics.
* Experience analyzing and synthesizing data in the energy sector, preparing reports and summaries, both written and powerpoint presentations.
* Expertise with Microsoft Office Suite (particularly PowerPoint)
* 5-8+ years' experience
Additional Calpine Information
* Vaccination Information: Calpine requires an individual who is newly hired into this position to be vaccinated for COVID-19 within the first 28 days of employment - if not already vaccinated prior to starting employment. If you have any concerns regarding compliance with this requirement, you will need to discuss your concerns with Calpine's HR department after a decision has been made about whether or not to make you a conditional offer of employment. Calpine does not require applicants to discuss vaccination status prior to receipt of a conditional offer of employment and complies with all applicable laws requiring reasonable accommodation.
* Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities.
* Calpine is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please send an e-mail with your request to [Click Here to Email Your Resumé]. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation are made on case-by-case basis.
Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP here