Software Quality Assurance Engineer
Are you passionate about making software reliable and easy to use?
Do you have a knack for identifying bugs and developing test scripts to catch and correct similar upcoming issues that would impact end user functionality?
If so, we would like to speak with you!
@Orchard LLC is the retained recruiting partner for a Software Solutions and Services firm based in Houston to identify a strong Software Quality Assurance Engineer to join their product development team and develop and execute exploratory and automated tests to ensure the quality of their custom product, a market-leading SaaS web and native (iOS/Android) application. The Software QA role plays an important part in the company's product development process. You will be working directly within an agile software development team that follows a two week sprint cycle for issuing updates and enhancements to a SaaS web/mobile application. The job is fast-paced and includes many different types of QA testing on various web and mobile app devices and platforms.
In this role, your daily responsibilities could include:
- Reviewing requirements, specifications, and design documents to learn expected application behavior
- Creating detailed, comprehensive and well-structured test plans and test cases to perform QA on enhancement and bug stories for each sprint/release
- Estimating, prioritizing, planning and coordinating testing activities
- Designing, authoring and implementing tests for new product modules, reproducing bugs reported by customers, and maintaining automated regression test plans, documenting bugs and improvements
- Reading "success criteria" and "suggested QA steps" for new product features and testing suggested steps as well as general exploratory testing around the feature that was added/changed
- Reading "steps to reproduce" and "suggested QA steps" for bug fixes and performing verification and exploratory/regression testing to ensure the bug is fixed and no side effects are introduced
- Reproducing issues reported by customers, often with few details to go by, and authoring detailed "steps to reproduce" for any bugs found
- Converting high-level regression test documents into detailed Rainforest QA test scripts (with precise steps and pass/fail assertion statements)
- Providing ongoing maintenance of Rainforest QA test scripts, adding tests for new features, and as tests fail, converting them into internal bug stories. As tests trigger false-positive results, updating the test to catch the issue.
- Assisting the team with manual pre-shipping regression testing.
The right person for this opportunity will have a background that includes:
- Proven work experience in software quality assurance, preferably within a software product and services environment
- Strong knowledge of software QA methodologies, tools, and processes
- Ability to write clear, concise and comprehensive test plans and test cases
- Experience working in an Agile/Scrum development process is desired
- General software user-experience intuition (being able to identify issues where the user experience is inconsistent and/or confusing from an end-user perspective)
- Detail-oriented (catching spelling mistakes, catching field naming inconsistencies between screens, etc)
- Ability to read BSC and QA steps and test stories, follow the QA steps, and then extrapolate additional exploratory testing
- Ability to read high level QA steps, fill in the gaps, and convert them into explicit step-by-step Rainforest QA test scripts with good "yes/no" assertion questions after each step
- Be able to come up to speed on 'hallway' testing... thinking through different personas and catching inconsistencies throughout the app
Additional skills in the following would be a plus:
- Scripting experience to author test scripts would be a plus
- Experience authoring tests in Rainforest QA (or a similar product) is a plus
- Experience with performance and/or security testing is a plus
- Technical writing (being able to author clear test plans and clear bug reproduction steps) a plus
- French language skills
- Employees may work from anywhere they feel comfortable
- Remote-work employees are responsible for their own internet connectivity and physical workspace, such as a home office
- Company provides computer hardware, peripherals, and software
- Team members may work flexible hours but are required to be available every weekday morning for daily team meetings and will communicate with team members in various parts of the Central and Eastern time zones as well as in Amsterdam.
Established in 2010, @Orchard LLC, also known as, Talent Orchard has an exceptional reputation, providing staffing solutions to time-sensitive, talent scarcity issues to deliver better talent management ROI. Our specialty lies in the critical area of program talent acquisition and resource management, not in one narrow skillset, but across many areas of technical and functional delivery. To learn more about our other exciting opportunities, visit our Jobs Page at www.atOrchard.com.
@orchard #softwarequalityassurance #softwareQA @remotejobs #softwaretesting