Equal Opportunity Employer : Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects.
To enable our business to expand our lead in a market increasingly enhanced by technology, Waste Management is undertaking a substantial technology transformation. We are seeking talented Information Technology professionals to join the Waste Management team who are motivated to help us transform the way we design, build and use technology. With your skills and experience, we look for you to combine your technical expertise with industry best practices in an effort to align information technology solutions with Waste Management business strategy.
I. Job Summary
Under minimal supervision, builds mobile and desktop web applications used by millions of people. Collaborates with UX and UI designers, product managers, and software engineers to deliver delightful user-facing products. Undertakes complex projects requiring additional specialized technical knowledge in software design and testing.
II. Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. Other ancillary duties may be assigned.
- Develops efficient and reusable software solutions that advance complex web applications.
- Leads design/coding sessions, develops solutions, and implements solutions as part of a team.
- Articulates design and resolves technical/design conflicts as they occur.
- Coordinates with business analysts and users to determine requirements.
- Resolves customers’ issues and responds to suggestions for improvements and enhancements.
- Mentors and fosters growth of peers and team members.
- May work on-call shifts on a rotation basis.
III. Supervisory Responsibilities
May coach and mentor less-experienced engineers and act as team and technical lead on projects.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
Required : Bachelor’s Degree (accredited) in Computer Science, MIS, or similar area of study, or in lieu of degree, High School Diploma or GED (accredited) and 5 years of relevant experience.
Preferred : Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or MIS and five or more years of software development experience.
B. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
C. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required
Advanced knowledge or skills in one or more of the following is required :
- Experience with software development life cycles.
- Knowledge of enterprise coding standards.
- Hands on experience in writing more complex code.
- Ability to perform code reviews.
- Knowledge of software methodologies.
- Ability to learn new and emerging technologies.
- Ability to lead a group to consensus, solve problems, and accomplish tasks.
- Ability to mentor and train less knowledgeable peers and individuals.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (both written and verbal).
- Ability to multitask, meet deadlines, and work in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to adapt to change.
- General business knowledge and concepts.
D. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities that Contribute to Success
May require advanced skills in one or more of the following :
- Web application development.
- Demonstrate flexibility and a willingness to undertake a wide variety of challenging tasks.
V. Work Environment
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Required to use motor coordination with finger dexterity (such as keyboarding, machine operation, etc.) most of the work day;
- Required to exert physical effort in handling objects less than 30 pounds rarely;
- Required to be exposed to physical occupational risks (such as cuts, burns, exposure to toxic chemicals, etc) rarely;
- Required to be exposed to physical environment which involves dirt, odors, noise, weather extremes or similar elements rarely;
- Normal setting for this job is an office setting.
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, Company match on 401K, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site.
If this sounds like the opportunity that you have been looking for, please click "Apply.”