Serves as a communications liaison between METRO and the public on the METRO website, social media and other platforms to convey real-time operational status of METRO services, and other relevant information about METRO. The specialist will receive and interpret information regarding planned and unplanned incidents and activities that will have an impact on the public’s use of METRO’s fixed route services. Performs duties in a safe, efficient manner and in compliance with all applicable rules and safety procedures.
Responsibilities and Specific Duties
- Monitors bus and rail operations in order to write and relay emergency notifications and operational status to METRO’s communications platforms, including social media, for all unscheduled/unplanned delays, emergency situations, detours, service interruptions, facility conditions and other METRO related events.
- Collaborates with METRO Operations, MPD, Safety, Customer Service, Press Office, Marketing, IT and other stakeholders to provide a coordinated message to the public regarding service and other METRO activities.
- Informs and updates appropriate personnel of delay management strategies via METRO’s electronic notification systems during service interruptions/adjustments as required by operating conditions.
- Coordinates agency responses to e-mail inquiries received via ridemetro.org. and social media platforms. Maintains content for computer software systems, and social/new media tools.
- Creates content, and grows METRO’s presence across social media channels.
- Provides an operations contact for customer safety/security related text messages, customer service, station monitors, METRO Police, METRO Press Office and other key staff.
- Prepares a variety of reports and correspondence for management review.
- Collaborates with key stakeholders to verify information and meet tight deadlines.
- Track and analyze analytics to gain insight on traffic, demographics, and effectiveness; utilize this information to positively affect future outcomes.
- Must be available for emergency telework during any natural or manmade crisis which impedes safe travel.
- Participates in rotation for on-call availability outside of normal business hours.
- Provides excellent customer service to METRO internal and external customers.
- Promotes safety awareness and follows safety procedures to reduce or eliminate accidents.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
High school diploma or GED is required. Bachelor’s degree in Communications or related field is required.
Years & Experience Required
Five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in communications, newsroom or business writing environment.
Knowledge & Skills Required
Must be able to effectively perform and clearly communicate in a rapidly changing environment and have the aptitude to understand and apply transportation call center and operational principles and procedures as necessary. Strong analytical abilities are required for fact gathering, issue identification and operational analysis. Ability to write clearly and succinctly in a variety of communication settings and styles to get messages across in a clear and concise manner. Must be proficient in a Windows environment (Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook). Proficiency with online publishing tools such as Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and other online platforms.
The Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County, Texas has a zero tolerance drug and alcohol policy for all employees. All internal and external applicants will be required to undergo drug testing before employment and will be subject to further drug and/or alcohol testing throughout their employment.
Further, employees who perform safety-sensitive functions will submit to drug and/or alcohol testing in accordance to the Department of Transportation (DOT) and the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) regulatory requirements.
We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, veteran status, genetic information or disability.