Responsible for managing safe, efficient and reliable bus services in conjunction with Bus Control. Oversees bus operations including, daily service, detours, special bus orders/events, and emergency shuttle services (bus bridges, scheduled and unscheduled). Performs supervisory duties relative to the oversight of bus service, including monitoring and evaluating bus operator performance. Maintains open communication with the public to ensure quality, courteous customer service. Performs duties in a safe, efficient manner and in compliance with all applicable rules and safety procedures.
Responsibilities and Specific Duties
- Oversees and advises Bus Operators concerning the proper application of rules, policies, and operational procedures to ensure safe, timely and efficient service to METRO’s customers and the general public.
- Oversees and manages the daily activities in the field associated with the Authority’s fixed route bus services.
- Maintains and optimizes bus service reliability by implementing failure management strategies which include real time on-street service management, delay mitigation techniques (route diversions), and any other METRO resources. Maintains on-time performance by means of on-street service adjustments.
- Operates a computer aided multi-channel radio for assistance requests from Bus Operators and other METRO operations support personnel, public emergency services agencies, and the general public.
- Directs Operators during emergencies, equipment breakdown, and service delays using a computer-aided dispatch system and multi-channel radio equipment.
- Monitors routes for adverse operating conditions (e.g., construction, road conditions, weather, special events, accidents, street closures, emergency situations) that may cause delays and responds appropriately to maintain or restore scheduled services; also monitors the conditions of shelters and stops for repair, replacement, and cleaning.
- Responds to scenes of bus accidents to investigate, assist, re-route traffic or re-route services and maintain safety to reduce potential for further accidents.
- Identifies existing or future potential issues impacting the efficiency or effectiveness of fixed route service delivery and advances these issues to appropriate department(s) for resolution.
- Responds to service interruptions relating to disgruntled METRO customers and provides information and assistance to customers, as needed.
- Troubleshoots equipment problems, within the parameters of Service Supervision and with the tools provided by Maintenance. Works in collaboration with Bus Control to implement service recovery strategies, as needed.
- Coordinates unscheduled bus bridge services between rail stations as needed and directed by Bus Control. Manages scheduled bus bridge services consistent with assigned bus bridge routes.
- Responds to Bus Operators’ requests for information, or assistance and relays information to Bus Operators that pertain to operational issues (e.g., detours, charters, police activities and other special events). Assists Bus Operator in collecting the necessary information to complete accident reports.
- Researches complaints filed against Bus Operators as requested (which may require meeting patrons in the field) and prepare a professional report of findings and actions taken to ensure safe, courteous and efficient service.
- Performs undercover surveillance when necessary to confirm customer complaints or other reports regarding Operators’ driving performance and/or behavior.
- Performs a variety of administrative duties, including but not limited to writing and submitting thorough and comprehensive reports that pertain to incidents, accidents, service conditions; notifying 311, Facility Maintenance or other public entities of road and passenger amenity conditions; checking restroom stops for cleanliness quarterly; identifying restroom stops for each service change; conducting daily safety contacts with Operators; and transporting operators for replacement in the event of accidents, post-accident drug screening, and random drug testing.
- Promotes safety awareness and follows safety procedures in an effort to reduce or eliminate accidents.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
High school diploma or GED. Associates degree preferred.
Years & Experience Required
Minimum three (3) years’ experience with union or collective bargaining rules, procedures, and contracts and familiarity with bus, rail or general transportation operations including direct interaction with public, and one (1) year supervisory experience.
Knowledge & Skills Required
Basic computer skills and knowledge of software packages to include Word, Excel and similar programs; basic analytical skills. Must pass technical testing of computer software package. The ability to exercise sound judgment during high pressure situations. Excellent customer service skills. Excellent communications skills to concisely communicate directions and instructions in a team coordinated effort. A valid Texas Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) will be required by completion of the five-week training. Must meet METRO’s requirements regarding motor vehicle records.
The Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County, Texas has a zero tolerance drug and alcohol policy for all employees. All internal and external applicants will be required to undergo drug testing before employment and will be subject to further drug and/or alcohol testing throughout their employment.
Further, employees who perform safety-sensitive functions will submit to drug and/or alcohol testing in accordance to the Department of Transportation (DOT) and the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) regulatory requirements.
We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, veteran status, genetic information or disability.