UnitedHealthcare is a company that's on the rise. We're expanding in multiple directions, across borders and, most of all, in the way we think. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about transforming the health care industry. Ready to make a difference? Make yourself at home with us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
The UnitedHealthcare Government Programs Senior Vice President of Communications serves as a strategic advisor on media, reputation and employee engagement to the CEOs /executive leadership team for the Medicare & Retirement and Community & State businesses. This position reports to the UHC Chief Communications Officer and is part of the UHC senior communications group (SCG), with a solid dotted-line relationship to the business CEOs and senior leadership team. This position is a talent developer and oversees a team of 16 communication professionals who develop and implement a proactive and integrated public relations, brand/reputation and internal communications strategy that is aligned with business priorities and objectives.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Develop and implement external proactive and reactive communications and reputation management plans
- Develop internal engagement and activation plans, in partnership with business leadership, that support change management needs on a variety of organizational matters and help employees understand how their role contributes to business success through communications that provide context, information and insight into the business strategy
- Create an integrated approach for proactive media relations on a handful of key business priorities each quarter
- Develop and manage relationships with applicable industry/media representatives and proactively outreach to drive coverage of our business
- Support the CEOs in creating a leadership communications strategy to effectively position the members of the executive team as thought leaders and spokespeople on issues and in venues that are relevant to the business and employees
- Work closely with the marketing and growth leadership and teams to develop and implement integrated campaigns that drive a consistent and distinct message with key audiences
- Leverage internal systems to further educate, engage and inform audiences to advance employees’ roles in shaping the organizational future
- Manage day-to-day issues in partnership with business SMEs with media and other stakeholders, including preparing statements, talking points and Q&A
- Consult with business leadership on external perspectives and reactions that influence key business decisions, strategy development and business outcomes
- Research key stakeholders and influencers and develop appropriate engagement plans
- Collaborate with local market teams to shape executive visibility and thought leadership with regional and local health plan CEOs
- Partner closely with peers in UnitedHealthcare, Human Capital, Government Affairs, Marketing, Optum and other UnitedHealth Group business segments to tell our story and respond to media issues with a coordinated approach
- Manage external agency partners
- Develop teams’ communications skills and leadership competencies to be ready for next levels of advancement
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in communications or journalism
- 10+ years of experience in public relations/corporate communications, including management experience with proven staff mentorship and development expertise
- Experience developing communication content tailored to the specific medium and audience requirements (e.g., emails, speeches, scripts, press releases, talking points, web sites, briefing packets, preparation materials, backgrounders, training decks)
- Experience and proven effectiveness in managing crisis communications and sensitive issues
- Demonstrated understanding of UnitedHealthcare business (organizational structure, business strategies, current initiatives, goals and objectives, global businesses)
- Demonstrated knowledge of health care industry and current/emerging trends, particularly as they relate to the government businesses
- Proven writing and oral communication skills, ability to persuade, influence and build consensus with internal and external stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability in navigating external news and media outlets/channels, as well as emerging channels such as social media
- Proven track record of effectively directing and supervising internal teams, outside agencies and consultants
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment
Careers with UnitedHealthcare. Let's talk about opportunity. Start with a Fortune 5 organization that's serving more than 85 million people already and building the industry's singular reputation for bold ideas and impeccable execution. Now, add your energy, your passion for excellence, your near-obsession with driving change for the better. Get the picture? UnitedHealthcare is serving employers and individuals, states and communities, military families and veterans where ever they're found across the globe. We bring them the resources of an industry leader and a commitment to improve their lives that's second to none. This is no small opportunity. It's where you can do your life's best work.(sm)
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada Residents Only: The salary/hourly range for Colorado residents is $240,000 to $310,000. The salary/hourly range for Connecticut/Nevada residents is $240,000 to $310,000. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.