DNV GL - Energy is looking for a talented Senior Technical Product Owner that will be responsible for working with our innovation squads to design, architect and manage the implementation of technical solutions in support of achieving business outcomes assigned to the team. As a senior technical expert, they will work closely with the product manager, the customer and technical resources to convert product requirements into agile user stories. Product Owner’s are also expected to ensure the proper adoption and implementation of software engineering best practices to ensure maximum velocity from customer need to features in production.
Product Owners play a critical role in achieving DNV GL Renewables Advisory’s vision of expediting the deployment of renewable plants and maximizing their operational performance. The incredible people of DNV GL work hard in pursuit of our shared goals of empowering our customers, protecting life, property and the environment and daring to create a future that is brighter, healthier and cleaner.
This position may be based out of our Oakland, CA; Portland, OR; Seattle, WA; San Diego, CA; Austin, TX or Houston, TX; Medford, MA; Arlington, VA or Oak Brook, IL office. Remote may be considered.
Tasks May Include
- Develops a deep understanding of customer experience at a tactical and transaction level.
- Provides input on critical technical architecture decisions by identifying how and when to use off-the-shelf, open source, or in-house built technologies.
- Ensures adherence to best practices for agile software development, including but not limited to, agile/scrum/kanban, test driven development, technical debt management,
- Security Development Lifecycle, API documentation coverage, continuous integration/continuous delivery, code review, and robust testing (unit, functional, integration, and real-user testing).
- Builds, maintains, and prioritizes Agile (Scrum / Sprint) team backlog with input from various team members.
- Collaborates with Agile teams and Product Managers to write user stories and requirements that include acceptance criteria.
- Reviews and prioritizes the backlog for Iteration (Sprint) Planning, including coordination of dependencies with other PO's.
- Reviews and assesses enabler work, understands scope of the upcoming enabler work and collaborates with System and Solution Architect/Engineering to assist with decision-making and sequencing of the technical infrastructures.
- Be the primary point of contact for the technical team and Customer representatives for user story details.
- Performs demo’s of completed functionality for the product team and customer representatives.
- Works to continuously improve our software development practices by closely measuring and developing insights by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; and participating in professional societies
- Participates in team demo with primary responsibility of reviewing and accepting completed user stories. The PO is the only team member who can accept as done! This includes validation that stories meet the acceptance criteria and team's Definition of Done (DoD).
- Participates in Iteration Retrospective, where teams gather to improve their processes.
- Coordinates user story, functional, and technical details with other Product Owners throughout the organization
- Bachelor's degree in business, computer science, computer engineering, physics, mathematics or a related field of study. Master's Degree preferred.
- Minimum 3 years of relevant Product Management, Product Owner, Business Analyst, and System Analyst or Architecture/Software Engineer experience in an agile software product development environment.
- Minimum 3 years experience making the important architecture and design decisions on software projects, application of architecture design patterns or significant open source technologies.
- Minimum 3 years of continuous and professional software development
- Ability to discuss at least some of the following: business ecosystems, SaaS, infrastructure as a service (IaaS), platform as a service (PaaS), SOA, APIs, open data, microservices, event-driven IT, and predictive analytics
- Strong requirements elicitation, and proven writing skills including the ability to write concisely and clearly for different audiences.
- Experience with Agile backlog/project management tools. Azure DevOps desired
- Experience with successive elaboration and ability to develop Initiatives, Features and User Stories that the DevOps teams can ingest
- Experience working with one or more Python based, scientific, mathematical or engineering technologies preferred
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, including teamwork, facilitation, and negotiation
- Strong leadership skills: good communicator and collaborator, passionate about renewable energy, able to motivate teammates, and influence decision makers
- Professional and constructive attitude, able to work in multicultural, diverse environment, experience working with global teams
- Proven track record to effectively and efficiently connect with Leadership, technical and non-technical audiences while employing a high degree of collaboration and influence.
- Strong business analytical skills with the capability of identifying, analyzing, synthesizing product use data.
- Strong written and verbal English communication skills
- We conduct pre-employment drug and background screening
**Immigration-related employment benefits, for example visa sponsorship, are not available for this position**
Opportunities Beyond Business
Our mission is to safeguard life, property and the environment. By joining us, you will work towards our meaningful vision: to make a global impact for a safe and sustainable future. DNV GL offers a congenial working environment, competitive salaries, and an exceptional benefits package.
DNV GL is an Equal Opportunity Employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights under the law, see: www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
Please visit our website at www.dnvgl.com
Company & Business Area Description
DNV GL is a global quality assurance and risk management company. Driven by our purpose of safeguarding life, property and the environment, we enable our customers to advance the safety and sustainability of their business. We provide classification, technical assurance, software and independent expert advisory services to the maritime, oil & gas, power and renewables industries. We also provide certification, supply chain and data management services to customers across a wide range of industries.
Combining technical, digital and operational expertise, risk methodology and in-depth industry knowledge, we empower our customers’ decisions and actions with trust and confidence. We continuously invest in research and collaborative innovation to provide customers and society with operational and technological foresight. With origins stretching back to 1864 and operations in more than 100 countries, our experts are dedicated to helping customers make the world safer, smarter and greener.
DNV GL delivers world-renowned testing and advisory services to the energy value chain including renewables and energy efficiency. Our expertise spans onshore and offshore wind power, solar, conventional generation, transmission and distribution, smart grids, and sustainable energy use, as well as energy markets and regulations. Our experts support customers around the globe in delivering a safe, reliable, efficient, and sustainable energy supply.