Applications accepted from: All Applicants Interested
Job Classification: Senior Real Estate Analyst
Department: Planning and Development
Reporting Location: 611 Walker St.
Workdays & Hours: M–F, 8:00AM – 5:00PM*
*Subject to Change
You are invited to bring your passion for public service and improving the Houston community to our team as a Senior Real Estate Analyst. Houston is an ideal place to live, where it is enjoyable to be outside most of the year and has a booming population thanks to a rapidly expanding job market. Houston is a place where the cost of living is more than 25% below the top 20 metro average, and with no state income tax, it is possible to buy a house with a modest income. As the fourth largest and most ethnically diversity city in the U.S., Houston has unlimited choices when it comes to food, festivals, sports, museums, and the performing arts.
Welcome to the City of Houston’s Planning and Development Department. Our department is a key player in the Mayor’s effort to build a vibrant, resilient and equitable Houston that works for all our two million residents. Much like Houston itself, we are a culturally diverse team that is committed to improving Houston’s built environment. Our team is filled with energetic change-agents who make a difference every day by balancing the needs and interests of the community we serve.
We operate with four core values: Innovation, Collaboration, Integrity and Empowerment. We treat ourselves, our partners and our customers with respect and we put continuous learning in the center of our operation.
Check out some of our work in the American Planning Association Magazine https://www.planning.org/planning/2020/jan/the-z-word/
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES / ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
The role of the Senior Real Estate Analyst is to maximize the value of City’s multimodal transportation system to support ongoing development. This requires knowledge in both transportation planning to maximize the safe movement of all people by all modes and real estate development to use space efficiently and cost effectively. The Senior Real Estate Analyst will be the bridge between the City’s Development Ordinance, Major Thoroughfare and Freeway Plan, and Infrastructure Design Manual, resulting in projects that support the City’s goals of equitable development and multimodal access.
Additional duties may include:
- Work with Mayor’s Office of Development, Houston Public Works, Houston Housing Authority, and other city relevant departments.
- Support other Planning Department divisions, other COH departments, partner agencies, and the public with information and research regarding the City’s Major Thoroughfare and Freeway Plan, planning studies and the City’s Complete Streets policy.
- Research and understand best practices and progressive policies in multimodal transportation planning with emphasis on parking management and transportation demand management.
- Manage and participate in interagency planning activities such as Sub-Regional Mobility Planning Studies, Livable Center Studies, and other planning studies.
- Conduct community engagement efforts for multiple planning projects.
- Consult with community groups, government agencies, stakeholders, and appointed officials in the development and implementation of regulations, plans, projects, or programs.
DESIRED EMPLOYEE ATTRIBUTES
- knowledge of multimodal transportation planning best practices, including street design, vehicle parking management, and transportation demand management.
- Knowledge of real estate development and completing development pro formas.
- Proficient in data analysis and GIS.
- Experience with graphic programs such as Adobe Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator is preferred as well as design skills related to transportation infrastructure
- Ability to communicate orally, graphically, and in written form about transportation planning programs, studies, and projects the public and technical audiences.
Preferred Personality Traits:
- Mature, credible, and comfortable in dealing with mid-to- high level executives and politicians.
- Reliable, tolerant, and determined.
- Empathic communicator, able to see things from the other person's point of view.
- Well-presented and businesslike
- Keen for new experience, responsibility. and accountability.
- Respect for diversity and knowledge of the region’s demographics.
- Able to get on with others and be a team-player.
- We value creativity, people who think broadly, and who are willing to seek innovative solutions.
The position is physically comfortable; Requires stooping or bending. Occasional lifting, such as three or four reams of paper or books (up to 20 pounds or an equivalent weight) may be required.