At Memorial Hermann, we're about creating exceptional experiences for both our patients and our employees. Our goal is to provide opportunities for our diverse employee population that develop and grow careers in a team-oriented environment focused on patient care.
Every employee, at every level, begins their journey at Memorial Hermann learning about the history of the organization and its established culture built on trust and integrity. Our employees drive this culture, and we want you to be a part of it.
The Health Information Management Specialist administrative duties as directed to carry out the daily operations of Health Information Management (HIM) department. Processes, maintains and ensures the integrity and quality of the medical record, utilizing technological, analytical and computer and critical thinking skills
Education: High School Diploma or GED; Bachelors degree; in lieu of degree will accept four (4) years of extensive health information management experienceor enrolled in Memorial Hermann HIM internship program and obtaining degree within six (6) months of employment
Licenses/Certifications: RHIT or RHIA preferred
Experience / Knowledge / Skills:
- Six (6) years of experience in health information management or equivalent health information management education/technical training
- Strong knowledge of medical terminology
- Strong knowledge of medical records procedures and compliance
- Good organization skills & interpersonal skills needed
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Ability to follow instructions and perform tasks accurately
- Ability to work independently with good judgment within the area of responsibility
- Working knowledge of computer systems and programs (expertise in MS Word, Excel and Adobe products)
- Demonstrates commitment to the Partners-in-Caring process by integrating our culture in all internal and external customer interactions; delivers on our brand promise of "we advance health" through innovation, accountability, empowerment, collaboration, compassion and results while ensuring one Memorial Hermann.
- Analyzes complex issues and records.
- Identifies and reports compliance issues, if not within policy and procedure addresses with management.
- Validates and performs quality review of scanned records as well as monitors and maintains the integrity of the legal medical record.
- Solves complex clerical office and chart locator problems.
- Identifies trends in scanning errors and processes and communicates to management.
- Assists with quality review of medical records as appropriate and determined by manager.
- Reviews the medical record and assignment of deficiencies to assure compliance rules and regulations for record completion.
- Audits accuracy of electronic and manual entry and facilitates resolution of any discrepancies.
- Maintains records using multiple, complex systems to retrieve files, locate missing records, file/or scan new and updated information. Identify multiple records.
- Determines appropriate document content and data necessary to be
- Reviews medical records for completeness, and files records in filing system.
- Monitors entries made into medical record documents to ensure that all information is legible, complete, and signed.
- Reviews scanned documents for accuracy, legibility, and appropriate identification.
- Provides customer service related duties.
- Communicates with physicians and staff to clarify diagnosis or get additional information.
- Ensures safe care to patients, staff and visitors; adheres to all Memorial Hermann policies, procedures, and standards within budgetary specifications including time management, supply management, productivity and quality of service.
- Promotes individual professional growth and development by meeting requirements for mandatory/continuing education and skills competency; supports department-based goals which contribute to the success of the organization; serves as preceptor, mentor and resource to less experienced staff.
- Other duties as assigned