No two career paths will ever look the same. At Leidos, we know the most talented and diverse engineering professionals will always have a multitude of career choices; your time at Leidos will be a wise investment in your career and in yourself.
Protect yourself and your family with the benefits of working for a world-class employer. When you join Leidos, you join a Fortune 500 company and one of Ethisphere Institute’s “World's Most Ethical Companies.”
Successful candidates can look forward to a fast paced, diverse work environment and flexible work hours/work arrangements as well as managers who will encourage career development and growth including:
- Engineer in Training Certificate (EIT)
- Professional Engineer License (PE)
- Project Management Professional (PMP)
- Leadership training
- Management opportunities
In this role, you can also expect to gain:
- NESC expertise
- Structural Pole Modeling
- Electrical Power Calculations
- GIS design training
- Project management
- Financial management
Currently, we have an opportunity for Senior Distribution Engineer for electric utility design engineering.
The successful candidate will have an interest in developing construction work packages for the electric distribution system using various software systems and construction standards. Distribution systems may be in an OH, UG, or URD environment. Work packages will be developed using Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Computer Aided Design (CAD) tools, Work Management Systems (WMS), and other client systems.
- Project work will require performing engineering calculations that may include: structural analysis of poles, guying, cable pulling, electric demand, transformer sizing, voltage drop and flicker, and coordination of protective devices.
- Assignments may also include: preparing forestry trimming requests, facilitating permit and Right-of-Way acquisition, development of a BOM, estimating costs, and customer advocacy such as acquiring easements.
- ork assignments will include travelling by motor vehicle to various project locations located throughout the area to conduct field investigations.
• Bachelors of Science in Engineering degree (EE or CE preferred) is required and 8-12 years of prior relevant experience or Master’s degree with less than 6-10 years: relevant experience is either working directly with an electric utility or an electric utility consulting company, performing design engineering
• Experience with the National Electric Safety Code (NESC) and client construction standards
• Experience using CAD tools
• Experience with software such as: PoleForeman, SAP, Maximo
• Must be comfortable in both a field and office setting
• Must be able to lift 20 pounds
• Must be able to walk up to 2 miles on unpaved surfaces
• Candidate must provide their own reliable transportation (Local customer/job related travel is anticipated and will be reimbursed at IRS approved rates)
• Experience with distribution design: reconductoring projects, voltage conversion projects, distribution automation projects, new business projects
• Professional Engineer certification is preferred
• Previous Project Management experience is preferred
• Previous experience providing technical leadership and guidance to engineering teams is preferred
• Strong communication skills, written and interpersonal communications skills
• Collaborative and inclusive of individuals of diverse backgrounds and geographic locations
• Positive attitude
• Strong focus on Scope, Schedule, Budget, and Quality of engineering deliverables
• Ability to work with limited supervision
• Ability to work effectively in teams.
• Professional dress and demeanor
10% Field Inspections
50%-70% Engineering and development of design packages for construction crews including peer reviews and quality control checks
20-40% Performing administrative tasks, planning, and/or customer follow-up including management and development of team
Leidos is a trusted and technology-focused solutions provider. Utilities and mobile operators rely on our Power Delivery Services Team for reliable power and telecommunication expertise, as reflected through our work with more than 50 investor-owned utilities, more than 160 municipals/cooperatives, as well as a growing number of mobile operators, local utility providers and private developers. In addition to providing engineering and project management services, Leidos works with an established group of industry-leading construction partners delivering meaningful Energy Delivery Solutions. Our recognition as an industry leader is confirmed by the latest national rankings by Engineering News-Record (ENR) ranking Leidos within the Top 10 T&D Firms, and Top 10 Power Firms.
External Referral Bonus:
Potential for Telework:
Clearance Level Required:
Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Distribution Design Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 38,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Va., Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $11.09 billion for the fiscal year ended January 3, 2020. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [Click Here to Email Your Resumé].
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.