The New Standard for Drilling Performance
Drill safer, smarter and faster with Patterson-UTI Drilling's comprehensive fleet of pad-capable rigs featuring advanced walking systems to enhance your operations so you can reach your apex.
Patterson-UTI's Data Science team is a growing group of energetic, passionate individuals working to improve and inform the Company through data. We work exclusively with the Drilling Automation team to help design, evaluate, and improve novel drilling automation technology.
Some example projects that we are applying analytics and data science to include:
* Modeling greenhouse gas emissions from the rig fleet to reduce environmental impact and improve reporting
* Designing drilling advisory systems to improve drilling efficiency
* Developing automated monitoring, detection, and alerting of operational events
* Building models to predict failure of downhole and surface equipment
The Senior Data Scientist will be responsible for both leading Data Scientists and performing individual work. She / he will manage analytics projects of varying complexity, along with coaching and mentoring more junior individuals on the team. Projects include creating actionable reports, algorithms, and models that will directly impact the development of new automation technologies. The candidate will be involved in all aspects of the project life cycle, including interviewing stakeholders, cleaning and analyzing data, generating visuals and reports, and presenting results. The ideal candidate would be a team player and leader, possess advanced data science skills, be expert in working with large data sets in Python, and be able to communicate clearly with numerous stakeholders.
This role performs under general direction of the Lead Data Scientist.
* Lead, mentor, and coach a small team of data scientists working on a variety of projects
* Execute as an individual contributor multiple analytics projects of varying complexity and data sources (~1 week to ~3 months; time series and relational databases)
* Become the subject matter expert on projects, including visiting rigs to gain a deeper understanding of drilling rig operations.
* Maintain standards on code quality and code management
* Be the focal point for analytics: work and communicate with multiple stakeholders, understand project requirements, and deliver analytics solutions that add business value
* Assist with developing and improving our suite of data analytics applications and visualizations, including developing requirements and working with developers
* Independently manage and execute above projects from start-to-finish, including understanding stakeholder needs; acquiring necessary data; cleaning / analyzing data and innovating beyond initial requirements; generating visuals / reports; and presenting results to stakeholders
* Identify opportunities for more advanced data science solutions
* Prior experience in oil and gas data analytics
* Experience leading, mentoring, and coaching a team of data scientists
* Expert in programming to generate analyses, algorithms, and visuals
* Able to articulate complex data science techniques to end-users that have minimum technical background
* Have excellent soft skills to gain rapport within the organization and seek out buy-in for our analytics team
* Able to work both independently and as part of a team, managing multiple tasks and projects simultaneously to meet challenging deadlines
* Able to think strategically and translate concepts into action plans and track results
* Able and willing to visit a drilling rig location on a semi-regular basis to gain subject matter knowledge
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Demonstrated ability in the following leadership competencies
* Builds and Maintains Effective Relationships
* Develops Self and Others
* Builds Effective Teams
* Courageous Leadership
* Managing Vision and Purpose
* Business Acumen
* Drive for Results
* Customer focus
* Decision Quality
* Bachelor's degree in Physics, Engineering, Computer Science, or related field
* 2+ years' leading data analytics teams or projects or 5+ years' experience working on analytics projects
* Experience applying data analytics to industrial applications (i.e. Oil and Gas, chemicals, manufacturing, etc.)
* 2+ years' experience in Python for data analysis and visualization (including Jupyter Notebooks, Pandas, Numpy, Matplotlib)
* Experience in SQL and general data extraction
* Master's degree or higher in Engineering, Data Science/Analytics, Computer Science, or related field
* Experience developing Machine Learning/Artificial Intelligence solutions (scikitlearn / tensorflow / pytorch)
* Experience in software project management (SCRUM / Agile / etc.)
* Experience using git for code management
* Previous experience working in cross-functional roles and communicating directly with product users
* Experience with big data architectures (Hadoop, Spark)
Work is primarily in a climate controlled / office environment with minimal safety / health hazard potential. The employee is regularly required to sit, stand, or walk with occasional lifting (overhead, waist level) from floor, bending and frequent near vision use for reading and use of computer, telephone and other office equipment. Frequent travel to other Company offices and drilling rig work sites, often in remote locations, is required during normal rig operating conditions (day/night, outdoor hot/cold weather), and employee will be expected to properly use designated personal protective equipment (PPE).